Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is this photo taken.

Keith Sloane

This group of NZ soldiers possibly taken on board a ship returning to NZ 1919, (ie Hororata).  Only one soldier identified (sitting front RHS) wearing original 1915 collar badge rather than that of NZ Machine-Gunners, his last unit. 

However the Sgt has QMS badge above Sgt stripes; both ranks he was in 1918. Wounded in August 1915 at Gallipoli he spent the rest of the war in the UK until late 1918 and then awarded MM at Le Quesnoy. Ribbon not worn. 

We know there are several Regts represented by the collar badges so it's not a single unit, which makes returning to NZ the likely event.  All possibly 'Main Body' men. 

Can anyone confirm that the photo is taken on board a ship or any other suggestions? 

Keith.

Uncle Jack on ship2.jpg

Nice photo.  The dodgy white marks on the "I" Beam above the group certainly suggest seagulls however the lino "cobbles" / bit of carpet under a chair / not very nautical frosted windows make me suspicious.  There are a lot of Wounded Stripes present obviously suggest a "date from" well after Aug 1916.  The big Sergeant Major lying prone on the floor seems to have reasonably recognisable badges - his rank/unit/Wounded Stripe may be a clue and the latter open the possibility of an ID from WO Casualty Lists? 

Edited by TullochArd
Wounded Stripe not wound stripe

We actually have the full 1500 ships compliment if it is the Hororata.  

We have a handle on all the badge , insignia and wound stripes etc.  That's an interesting observation re the seagulls. 

It was suggested it might be a theatre. 

Yes, it looks land based to me.

Maybe the entrance lobby of a school or chapel?

Although the bars on the right look a bit like gym wallbars.

It could just be a photographic studio?