Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian name ??

garfyboy

Hi folks

I am trying to get this surname from the back of a Australian Great War card in which the sender mentions Gallipoli and his wounds and his comrade jack ??????? Is writing for him, looks like GRAGERMAN...... GROYERMAN but you can find no such surname in the Aussie archives or ancestry, any help would be appreciated, it would be nice to identify. 

andy

9073C40A-4B7C-4E64-8915-3B85443E0329.png

Hi

I think the second one is a y - Groyerman.

Not on AWM though.

Searching Ancestry, it is throwing names back like Growerman, Groyrman, Greyerman?

regards

Robert

Thank for the input folks but not of the above names are recognised on ancestry or the Aussie archives, frustrating 

Can you show the whole postcard to give us some other clues as to letter formation? 

The 'g' in God and surname appear identical at least

George

4D3B7345-ED6A-4064-8FCD-E6544BAE05A2.jpeg

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

Can you show the whole postcard to give us some other clues as to letter formation? 

The 'g' in God and surname appear identical at least

George

Good idea, here you go

I’m wondering if the letter of the surname could possibly be a middle initial and the surname possibly begins with a R

OK.

So it's not Joe the soldier himself writing, but Jack.

Is that because the soldier is wounded - or illiterate?

Jack's writing is pretty basic, with lots of words spelled incorrectly.

Is 'Grogerman' actually a surname then?

Maybe a nickname, or a place of origin even.

And is that spelled incorrectly too?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

I've been putting these variants into the AIF Project surname search without anything coming up and I was starting to wonder if it was a nickname.  Nice postcard!

12 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

OK.

So it's not Joe the soldier himself writing, but Jack.

Is that because the soldier is wounded - or illiterate?

Jack's writing is pretty basic, with lots of words spelled incorrectly.

Is 'Grogerman' actually a surname then?

Maybe a nickname, or a place of origin even.

And is that spelled incorrectly too?

Yes that is correct, my guess is that Jack is writing because of Joes wounds, and "Grogerman" could well be a nickname, in which case Jack will never be identified but I have to give it a try

10 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

I've been putting these variants into the AIF Project surname search without anything coming up and I was starting to wonder if it was a nickname.  Nice postcard!

Thanks, that's a shame, but thanks for trying, it could well be a nickname

12 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

'Grog' . Strine for Alcoholic Beverage.

'Grogman' - One who indulges?

Could well be, I like your way of thinking

30 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Does this project have a photo database that is easily accessible ? I know it may take time but I could look for 'Joe'

One last gasp try, the card is from MURWILLUMBAH which is in New South Wales, so can I presume that 'JOE' is from this town, is it possible to narrow it down with this info?

17 minutes ago, garfyboy said:

One last gasp try, the card is from MURWILLUMBAH which is in New South Wales, so can I presume that 'JOE' is from this town, is it possible to narrow it down with this info?

You can search ANZACs by place of birth here:

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/places

No obvious suspect though.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• Admin

FMP have just two soldiers listed on the Australian  Embarkation Roll with the first name Joseph (or Joe) from Murwillumbah. There are a further 7 with that name as a christian (but not first) name.

FMP link

Of the two one is a Doctor born 1870 (so possibly not him, his wife's initial is M). The other is Joseph Bernard Quinn a 30 year old single Labourer whose NoK is listed as his Mother Mrs Maria Quinn. Private Quinn is recorded as returning to Australia on 15th February 1918 link which may indicate a return due to wounds?. He was not however living in that place himself before the war as the electoral roll appears to place him in Nanango in Queensland (if it is the same man). It appears his death is recorded in 1958 and his mother's name on that record is Maria. Cannot find a marriage for him, or any direct connection to an Alice so at this time this would be pure speculation.

37 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

a number of Josephs mentioned, but very few Jacks

Jack could be listed as John, of which I guess there will be lots?

Many thanks David and dbs for your input, this may be a tough one to crack but I will keep trying, sometimes I find it’s better to go away and come back to it, so I will have a deeper look in the week when I get a bit of time, I will of course post any findings

thanks again

Andy