Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

frev

Staff and Crew of HMHS Gascon during 1915

Recommended Posts

frev

Do you know of anyone serving on HMHS Gascon during 1915?

 

What I have so far:

 

OFFICERS AND CREW:

*Officer Commanding ship: Master/Captain William Francis STANLEY (RNR)

*4th Officer: George Harold GRIGGS (MN)

*Sub Lieutenant Raymond Gustave SARGEANT (RNR / MN) [married AANS nurse Muriel Wakeford 1916]

 

 

War Diary 16th April 1915 – The ship is now being fitted up to receive British sick & wounded.  18 R.A.M.C. orderlies under charge of a Corporal arrived today.  Our native personnel has been cut down and now stands as follows: Two sub-assistant surgeons; Two store-keepers; Two asst. Store Keepers; Two Tailors; Two Mahomdan Cooks; Eight Sweepers; Two writers; Nine A.H.C. ward Servants; Two Hindu Cooks; Three extra Ward Orderlies; Four Dhobies.

 

MEDICAL STAFF:

 

Indian Medical Service

*Commanding Officer: Lieutenant Colonel Edward Victor HUGO (Surgeon) – from at least 1/2/1915 to 19/3/1916

 

*Major John Philip CAMERON (Doctor)

*Major ILLIUS (most probably Henry Warwick ILLIUS)

*Major OWEN

 

*Mr McNally?

 

*Selim – Orderly

 

 

British Forces

*Matron Susan Winifred WOOLER (QAIMNS) – 17/4/1915 to 4/6/1916

 

Chaplains:

*Alfred LEE WARNER – Reverend (Voluntary, later RACD) – May, June

*William Cyril MAYNE – Reverend, Royal Army Chaplains Department – July, August

*Robert Noble BEASLEY – Reverend, Army Chaplains Department – September, October (to 1916)

 

[Private John HILTON (138488, RAMC) – only served on Gascon in 1919]

 

*Mr McNally?

 

 

Australian Forces

*Lieutenant Colonel George Adlington SYME (Consulting Surgeon / AAMC) – 17/4/1915 to 7/5/1915

*Major Charles Gordon SHAW (Surgeon / 2nd Field Ambulance) – 1/6/1915 to 8/8/1915

*Captain John Robert McNEIL (Doctor / 2nd Field Ambulance) 17/8/1915 to Sept

 

*Bugler James Baker McBEAN (Orderly / 151, 2nd Field Ambulance) – 1/6/1915 to 8/8/1915

 

AANS Nurses:

Embarked Alexandria 17/4/1915:

*DURHAM, Sophie Hill – 17/4/1915 to 2/9/1915

*PETERS, Ethel Alice – 17/4/15 to 1/2/1916

*PORTER, Katherine Minnie – 17/4/1915 to 2/9/1915

 

Embarked Mudros Harbour (from HS Sicilia) 23/4/1915:

*GIBSON, Elsie Maud – 23/4/1915 to 1/2/1916

*MARSHALL, Clementina Hay – 23/4/1915 to 2/9/1915

*TUCKER, Ella Jane – 23/4/1915 to 1/2/1916

*WAKEFORD, Muriel Leontine – 23/4/1915 to 2/9/1915

 

Embarked Alexandria 8/6/1915:

*KITCHEN, Alice Elizabeth Barrett – 8/6/1915 to 14/12/1915

*SAMSING, Hilda Theresa Redderwold – 8/6/1915 to 14/12/1915

 

Embarked Alexandria 3/9/1915 [4 nurses, replacing DURHAM, PORTER, MARSHALL & WAKEFORD]:

*TWYNAM, Alice Joan – 3/9/1915 to 1/2/1916

*WALKER, Jean Nellie Miles – 3/9/1915 to 12/12/1915

*KELLETT, Adelaide Maud – 3/9/1915 to 22/1/1916

*DICKSON, Clarice Molyneux – 3/9/1915 – 20/1/1916

 

 

Many thanks for any help

Cheers, Frev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seaJane
Posted (edited)

I don't know whether this will tell you anything you don't already have, but for what it's worth:

http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page1944.html

 

 

 

 

Edited by seaJane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
horatio2
7 hours ago, frev said:

Officer Commanding ship: Master/Captain William Francis STANLEY (RNR)

William STANLEY does not appear in the Medal Roll for RNR officers. His ADM 240 RNR record shows him as Master of GASCON. In the April 1915 Navy List he is shown on the list of retired RNR officers, as Commander RNR with seniority 11 June 1910.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frev
On 06/03/2020 at 14:42, seaJane said:

I don't know whether this will tell you anything you don't already have, but for what it's worth:

http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page1944.html

 

 

 

Ta sJ - I have seen this :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frev
21 hours ago, horatio2 said:

 

Thanks horatio2 – I did see the medal sale research for Hugo, which puts him in France Jan-Mar – however, I have a copy of the Gascon War Diary which starts 1/2/1915, and is signed by E.V. Hugo as Lt Col: I.M.S., O.C., H.M.H.S. “Gascon” each month...!

 

 

21 hours ago, horatio2 said:

William STANLEY does not appear in the Medal Roll for RNR officers. His ADM 240 RNR record shows him as Master of GASCON. In the April 1915 Navy List he is shown on the list of retired RNR officers, as Commander RNR with seniority 11 June 1910.

 

Thanks for this, but I'm still a bit lot confused (not knowing much about the British Navy, obviously) – wondering why his service during WW1 would be in his RNR service record if he was no longer serving.  But if so, what would he otherwise come under? – is it Merchant Navy, Mercantile Marine…..help??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
horatio2
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, frev said:

Thanks for this, but I'm still a bit lot confused (not knowing much about the British Navy, obviously) – wondering why his service during WW1 would be in his RNR service record if he was no longer serving.  But if so, what would he otherwise come under? – is it Merchant Navy, Mercantile Marine…..help??

This puzzles me a bit too. He is clearly a retired RNR officer but he appears not to have been mobilised from the Retired List into an Admiralty appointment, probably because of his age (50). Instead he continued his employment in the Mercantile Marine (Union Castle Line) as Master of SS GASCON from 31 July 1914 and remained in post after his ship was hired by the Admiralty on 21 September 1914. GASCON continued to sail under the red ensign as a Hired Miltary Hospital Ship.

As a general point, it was normal procedure for Admiralty records of RNR officers and ratings to include all their pre-mobilisation service in the MM.

Edited by horatio2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alf mcm

Frev,

  Captain Denys Fitzgerald MURPHY, I.M.S. {Medal roll mentions 'Gascon'}. 

  Bar Steward Percy J. CLARK {Fold 3 pension record mentions 'Gascon'}.

 

Regards,

 

Alf McM

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alf mcm

Frev,

A.B. John William INKSTER, who died on Gascon in 1915 {pension record on Fold 3 under his brother James Inkster's name. He is described as A.B. but there is no service number, so he may be a civilian}. On this death record he is described as being part of Gascon's crew. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BMD%2FMTM%2FBT334%2F0069%2F001-233&parentid=BMD%2FD%2FMARITIME%2F772455

 

Regards,

 

Alf McM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frev
On 07/03/2020 at 20:16, horatio2 said:

This puzzles me a bit too. He is clearly a retired RNR officer but he appears not to have been mobilised from the Retired List into an Admiralty appointment, probably because of his age (50). Instead he continued his employment in the Mercantile Marine (Union Castle Line) as Master of SS GASCON from 31 July 1914 and remained in post after his ship was hired by the Admiralty on 21 September 1914. GASCON continued to sail under the red ensign as a Hired Miltary Hospital Ship.

As a general point, it was normal procedure for Admiralty records of RNR officers and ratings to include all their pre-mobilisation service in the MM.

 

Thanks again horatio2 - I'll record him as MM (retired RNR). :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frev
On 08/03/2020 at 02:31, alf mcm said:

 

  Captain Denys Fitzgerald MURPHY, I.M.S. {Medal roll mentions 'Gascon'}. 

  Bar Steward Percy J. CLARK {Fold 3 pension record mentions 'Gascon'

 

 

 

On 08/03/2020 at 04:55, alf mcm said:

 

A.B. John William INKSTER, who died on Gascon in 1915 {pension record on Fold 3 under his brother James Inkster's name. He is described as A.B. but there is no service number, so he may be a civilian}. On this death record he is described as being part of Gascon's crew. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BMD%2FMTM%2FBT334%2F0069%2F001-233&parentid=BMD%2FD%2FMARITIME%2F772455

 

 

Many thanks for these Alf - I'll have a look into them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...