Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Muster roll 1918 - "Boy"

MaxD

My subject appears in the RAF Muster roll 1918.  The "Rank held in RNAS or RFC" column and the rank on mustering both say "Boy".  As the chap was born in 1901 and joined up in Nov 1917 that makes sense but the query is, did the RFC have the rank Boy or can it be assumed he was in the RN where I know Boy to have existed.

Max

Edited by MaxD

You should be able to tell his fomer service by his RAF number (most ex-RNAS men have numbers which begin with '2') and by the former ranks of those near him on the Roll. What was his RAF number?

157130 - there is a whole page running from 157107 consecutively down to 157186 all Boys in both former service column and RAF column and in both trade columns.  Looking at random earlier pages, they are arranged it seems by date of joining whatever service .  All Boys until back at 156592 is the nearest trade other than Boy who is previous trade Ftr(Tnr) Lnr then RAF Turner (Lnr) ranks A Mech 3 then Private 2.  RFC??  Going forward to 157308 there is a Fitter (E) Lnr - , RAF Fitter (AE) Lnr - similar ranks.  RFC??

Max

157*** numbers will all be ex-RFC. Ex-RNAS numbers will all be 2*****. Ex-RN/RMLI/RMA men will all be in the 313001 to 315178 series.

Air Britain Researchers Corner has a very useful pdf document that gives ranges of RAF service numbers, and a description as to who was covered by that range. The following is listed:
Range                             Date of allocation            To whom allocated
155001 to 160000           Oct 1917-Dec 1918        RFC/RAF - civilians (Boys)

Link
https://www.ab-ix.co.uk/pdfs/rfc_raf.pdf

It has been in existence for a number of years.

Air Memorandum 1 from March 1918 records that the rank of Boy in the Royal Air Force will be on a daily rate of 1 shilling, regardless of being in the Technical, Non-Technical or Clerical branch. Upon reaching the age of 18, the entry rank and associated pay will then be given to the individual, depending upon their branch. (These were Air Mechanic 3rd Class paid 2 shillings, Private 2nd Class paid 1shilling 6 d, Clerk 3rd Class paid 1 shilling 8d.) The Air Memorandum was reproduced in Flight Magazine.

I am afraid I have no equivalent info on the RFC and its employment of Boy soldiers.

A quick trawl through the forum shows that up to the age of 18, the basic rate of pay for a Boy in the British Army was 8d per day. With acknowledgement to Muerrisch for his posts

See

See also
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/233111-pre-war-cloth-shoulder-titles-rank-and-insignia-photos/page/37/?tab=comments#comment-2825104

Of similar interest
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/british-army-rates-pay-1914/

Thank you all for a) answering the question and b) the additional useful information.  The jump from 8d to 1s when mustering was no doubt welcomed!

Interesting to see what looks like a large influx of boys into the RFC around the end of 1917 but that is another question.

My thanks again

Max

Here is a link to advise as to the rates of pay of men of the RNAS as at October 1914. This is courtesy of a similar question that was answered by Horatio2 a year ago.

RNAS

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/91911294

Boy ratings in the Military Branch of the Royal Navy, which appear on the subsequent page
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/91911306

If anyone is interested in the subject of boy service in the RFC/RAF i came across a book called 'The Royal Flying Corps Boy Service' the other day .

It's the memoir of John Ross who joined the RFC aged sixteen and a half in 1917 . Published by Regency Press in 1990 .

Thank you again for the continuing flow of info.  All being summarised and passed on to New Zealand.

I have since found the man's (boy's) record - name mis-transcribed by FMP which explains why I couldn't find it.  I'll ask for help seperately in a moment on his units.  He was discharged in Dec 1918 so not much service to follow.

I shall pass on the info about the book too, thank you Black Maria for that.

Max

17 minutes ago, MaxD said:

I shall pass on the info about the book too, thank you Black Maria for that.

Max

:thumbsup: