Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Jim - thanks for bringing this thread back to the fore with your excellent photo - you've really brought the men to life.

And I've just spent the last few hours scanning back through this wonderful story.

Hi Jules - how are you doing? I hope you got around to writing to Elsie - she sounded a little disappointed she hadn't heard from you.

Cheers, Frev

• 1 month later...

I'd forgotten to post the finished version of this :mellow:

Bigger version available for anyone who wants it

Jim

post-10363-1229591935.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! The colouring is fantastic. It really brings these young blokes to life - makes it 'real'. What a fascinating this thread has been.

• 5 months later...
Guest Kathrine
Information Needed

In your diary, is there any mention of a Private Robert Hutchinson (Private #571)? He was from Horsham, Victoria and his father was named George. Robert served in the 8th Battalion E Company and embarked on the SS Benalla on October 19, 1914.

You can even reply by private message if you so wish.

Kathrine

:rolleyes:I have just discovered the diary of my late grandfather buried in a suitcase in my parents loft. It covers the period of embarking on the SS Benalla and goes through all the training in Egypt as well as the Gallipoli landings and latterly all the battles in France. It makes absolutely fascinating reading and I should like to share it with other members. If anyone is interested to hear from the diary please let me know and I shall be only to happy to type up the relevant period. :rolleyes:

Hi Jules

I am particularly interested in the hospitalisation of your grandfather and any references to nursing. Sister Alice Kitchen travelled on the Benalla and she and a number of other nurses made the 8th Battalion their special friends.

cheers

Kirsty

http://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/res...erson20382.html

• 1 month later...

G'day Mate,

I don't know how I have missed this post until now but I am truly greatful that you have shared this remarkable discovery with the GWF.

Have you considered publishing the diary?

I am sure that there would be a sizeable quota of purchasers from this Forum alone not to mention those many historians and students in military academies across the globe that would love to read this treasure.

If you are familiar with the postings on this Forum about Will Davies' publication "Somme Mud" or about his sequel "In the Footsteps of Private Lynch" you may glean how much books in this genre are sought after. I believe "Somme Mud" is in its 3rd edition (which makes it around 150000 copies if I am correct)

The more of these lost treasures that can be made available to all must benefit our understanding of the Great War and in turn Man's most savage and heroic nature.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

• 5 months later...
G'day Mate,

I don't know how I have missed this post until now but I am truly greatful that you have shared this remarkable discovery with the GWF.

Have you considered publishing the diary?

I am sure that there would be a sizeable quota of purchasers from this Forum alone not to mention those many historians and students in military academies across the globe that would love to read this treasure.

If you are familiar with the postings on this Forum about Will Davies' publication "Somme Mud" or about his sequel "In the Footsteps of Private Lynch" you may glean how much books in this genre are sought after. I believe "Somme Mud" is in its 3rd edition (which makes it around 150000 copies if I am correct)

The more of these lost treasures that can be made available to all must benefit our understanding of the Great War and in turn Man's most savage and heroic nature.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Hi Sean

Just showed somebody this thead and to my amazement found another response. I have thought about publishing the diary but have never found the time to do anything about it so far. It fascinates me that so many people have found the diary of interest and at the same time makes me very proud of my grandfather. I will definately look up the two books you suggest and read them with great interest.

Regards

Julian

• 2 months later...
:rolleyes:I have just discovered the diary of my late grandfather buried in a suitcase in my parents loft. It covers the period of embarking on the SS Benalla and goes through all the training in Egypt as well as the Gallipoli landings and latterly all the battles in France. It makes absolutely fascinating reading and I should like to share it with other members. If anyone is interested to hear from the diary please let me know and I shall be only to happy to type up the relevant period. :rolleyes:

Hi there

I am very interested in all your fantastic translation of your grandfathers diary. In particular your Grandfather had shared a room with a relative of mine Len Errey who was in the 7th Bat. He was my mothers Great Uncle and lost his life over there. It was written that he shared a room on the Wednesday 29th November. Wow its so sobering to see what they all went through. Thank you for the postings. We have Len's diary and will try and do the same that you have done.

Justine

Hi there

I am very interested in all your fantastic translation of your grandfathers diary. In particular your Grandfather had shared a room with a relative of mine Len Errey who was in the 7th Bat. He was my mothers Great Uncle and lost his life over there. It was written that he shared a room on the Wednesday 29th November. Wow its so sobering to see what they all went through. Thank you for the postings. We have Len's diary and will try and do the same that you have done.

Justine

Hi Justine

Welcome to the forum and thanks for responding. It was really heartening to hear from you as I have little communication since I finished transcribing the diary. I have heard from one other family mentioned in the diary as well, but a long time ago. I would love to hear Len's thoughts of his time in the company of my grandfather, I am sure it would be fascinating as indeed reading my own grandfathers was. I lokk forward to hearing from you Justine.

Julian

it would be wonderful to see this other diary, Justine. I have missed John Pitt!

How are you, Julian?

Marina

I am fine thanks Marina, yourself? It would be great if Justine could transcribe Len's diary for the forum, would love to read another's perspective.

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

G'day, my name is Julie and I am so pleased to have found your site and have started to read your grandfather's diary entries you have been so generous to share. I am also thrilled to read them as my Great Granfather Samuel Waterton enlisted in the 8th Battalion, 2nd Infantry, C Coy, (enlisting in country Vic), and travelled also on the Benella! He also after being wounded in Gallipoli was sent to madros? island (hospital) and then England to recover before going to France/ Western Front. He also returned home on a hospital ship medically discharged August I beleive 1918. I have a photo of him on a ship after he was rescued, I think a hospital ship he was on that was torpedoed when he was returning to Australia (no idea of name?). Perhaps their paths crossed at some stage or even fought in the trenches together at some stage? I have been trying to find some kind of diaries to follow that would share similiar experiences to his as I haven't been fortunate to have found his diary and have been hitting a brick wall with trying to get his service file... apparently missing in the war memorial! but with the assistance of his son my great uncle I have been able to source an old photo of him taken after Gallipoli and between France and two others also one taken I think in Egypt I assume at a training camp and another which I think was taken in Victoria at a training camp. My Great Unlce seems to think becuase there are civilians in it, it was an open day when family could see them? Would be happy to share if anyone can throw some light on them? I am also trying to track down information about where they enlisted, trained ect. I know he was working on a farm in Waubra (i think it is spelt) at the time of his enlistment.. would love to meet other descendents of soilders of that area as well to share info. I have only got so far last night to May 1915 lots to read so will get back to it.... thankyou for your wonderful and dedicated work. Cheers Julie

Frev - sangfroid (blush!) - put it down to high temperature! Snpwing here - below freezing!

Marina

Thanks Marina - No wonder I couldn't work it out - I was still at a loss with sangfroid - until I looked it up in the dictionary - and then realised that I've obviously never seen it written before - I'll know how to spell it now if I ever need to write it!

Great idea about the photo - it would really enhance the story if we could see the story-teller.

Jules, as regards the War Memorial, perhaps you could use the diary as a bargaining tool - you know: "Digitize my grandad's records now & I'll send you a copy of his incredibly detailed diary."

Frev.

Hey while you are at it tell them to find my great grandfather Samuel Waterton's as well file missing apparently as well? found out that there is an AIF Project website...I wonder if files went for a walk in the name of research?

I share your frustration! cheers julie

Hi Julie - and welcome to the forum.

You certainly are one of the unlucky ones - I'd be inclined to think that a 'missing file' is pretty rare - which is quite amazing really when you consider how many there are! Over the years I've had need to look up thousands of WW1 Service Records & I've never yet found one totally missing (since the on-line digitization was completed) - till now of course!.

Although I did once come across part of another soldier's records that had been digitized in the wrong file - so it's possible this may be where your G/Grandfather's papers are - in someone else's file.

Anyway, at least you'll have this fascinating diary to follow which should help give you some idea of your GGF's own experiences.

You could also try and get your hands on a copy of the Unit Histories for the 8th & 60th Bns - plus have a look at the War Diaries:

Unit Histories:

Cobbers in Khaki (8th) – Ron Austin

Hold hard, cobbers Vol 1 (60th) – R.S. Corfield

War Diaries (on-line)

8th Bn: http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diari...sp?levelID=1770

60th Bn:

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diari...sp?levelID=1733

Link to the AIF Project: http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=314940

Your GGF Samuel ended up a Sergeant in the 60th Bn (the 8th’s daughter battalion)– this probably occurred when the units were re-arranged in Egypt early in 1916 (after all the men had returned from Gallipoli), and half the original 8th went to make up half the new 60th Bn – though he may have been transferred at a later date. [sadly he gets no special mention in either Unit History]

A resident at Waubra – he enlisted in nearby Ballarat 17/8/1914 – many who sailed with him in C Coy, 8th Bn also enlisted in Ballarat the same day & the day after – you could follow up on some of them who may have been mates:

Part of Embarkation Roll: http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/AWM8/23_25_1/PDF/0168.pdf

They trained at Broadmeadows Camp – and the camp was open to visitors each day from 4.30pm onwards with the exception of Sundays which allowed visitors straight after Church Parade at 11.30am.

Samuel's RTA (return to Australia) is shown as 13/8/1918 – however he sailed on the D19 Carpentaria which left Plymouth on the 8/8/1918 with invalid soldiers (List ‘F’) returning to Australia via Cape Town 9/9/18, and arrived Melbourne 4/10/1918.

[note some others on the Carpentaria also show RTA date of 13/8/18]

[if he had been on a torpedoed ship – it might have been the one that took him from Mudros, Lemnos Island to England]

Did you know his brother Charles David (1028) was also living at Waubra when he enlisted 21/2/16 (age 22)

He sailed with C Coy, 39th Bn (Robert Cantwell from Waubra enlisted with him – also William John Yates from Waubra enlisted 27/3/16 - see embarkation roll) – Charles RTA 23/9/19 with 5th Div Sig Coy (his record is available!)

As you probably know Charles married Elizabeth Jane YATES in 1924 - it may be of interest to know she was the sister of the above William John Yates

In Charles' record there is a copy of a letter Samuel wrote to the Base Records office in Oct 1919 requesting admittance cards to the Finalizing Depot at Melbourne, (which were forwarded to him) for he and his wife Rachel, so they could meet Charles when the Ascanius docked 6/11/1919.

[His address at the time was Norfolk House, Garfield, Vic]

Hope your GGF Samuel's records are found one day - but until then, happy researching.

Cheers, Frev

Julie, I found your grandfather's service record on the National Archives site. It hasn't been found before because the name in the NAA index is spelled incorrectly.

He appears as:

WARTERTON Samuel George : Service Number - 305 : Place of Birth - Norwich England : Place of Enlistment - Ballarat VIC : Next of Kin - (Father) WARTERTON John

So if you go to the search page, http://naa12.naa.gov.au/ and enter: "WARTERTON 305" (without the quotes) his 31-page dossier will come up.

Maybe NAA needs to be informed that this is their supposedly 'missing' record for Samuel Waterton that shows up when you search on his correct name.

Regards,

Bryn

Good find, Bryn.

I just want to say thank you to you and all the other community minded people who do some amazing research on behalf of others. Yours is just an example but how wonderful for Julie and her family. I can only hope that I can repay the favour, or even pay it forward.

Well done to all

Jonathan

• 1 month later...
Hi Julie - and welcome to the forum.

You certainly are one of the unlucky ones - I'd be inclined to think that a 'missing file' is pretty rare - which is quite amazing really when you consider how many there are! Over the years I've had need to look up thousands of WW1 Service Records & I've never yet found one totally missing (since the on-line digitization was completed) - till now of course!.

Although I did once come across part of another soldier's records that had been digitized in the wrong file - so it's possible this may be where your G/Grandfather's papers are - in someone else's file.

Anyway, at least you'll have this fascinating diary to follow which should help give you some idea of your GGF's own experiences.

You could also try and get your hands on a copy of the Unit Histories for the 8th & 60th Bns - plus have a look at the War Diaries:

Unit Histories:

Cobbers in Khaki (8th) – Ron Austin

Hold hard, cobbers Vol 1 (60th) – R.S. Corfield

War Diaries (on-line)

8th Bn: http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diari...sp?levelID=1770

60th Bn:

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diari...sp?levelID=1733

Link to the AIF Project: http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=314940

Your GGF Samuel ended up a Sergeant in the 60th Bn (the 8th's daughter battalion)– this probably occurred when the units were re-arranged in Egypt early in 1916 (after all the men had returned from Gallipoli), and half the original 8th went to make up half the new 60th Bn – though he may have been transferred at a later date. [sadly he gets no special mention in either Unit History]

A resident at Waubra – he enlisted in nearby Ballarat 17/8/1914 – many who sailed with him in C Coy, 8th Bn also enlisted in Ballarat the same day & the day after – you could follow up on some of them who may have been mates:

Part of Embarkation Roll: http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/AWM8/23_25_1/PDF/0168.pdf

They trained at Broadmeadows Camp – and the camp was open to visitors each day from 4.30pm onwards with the exception of Sundays which allowed visitors straight after Church Parade at 11.30am.

Samuel's RTA (return to Australia) is shown as 13/8/1918 – however he sailed on the D19 Carpentaria which left Plymouth on the 8/8/1918 with invalid soldiers (List 'F') returning to Australia via Cape Town 9/9/18, and arrived Melbourne 4/10/1918.

[note some others on the Carpentaria also show RTA date of 13/8/18]

[if he had been on a torpedoed ship – it might have been the one that took him from Mudros, Lemnos Island to England]

Did you know his brother Charles David (1028) was also living at Waubra when he enlisted 21/2/16 (age 22)

He sailed with C Coy, 39th Bn (Robert Cantwell from Waubra enlisted with him – also William John Yates from Waubra enlisted 27/3/16 - see embarkation roll) – Charles RTA 23/9/19 with 5th Div Sig Coy (his record is available!)

As you probably know Charles married Elizabeth Jane YATES in 1924 - it may be of interest to know she was the sister of the above William John Yates

In Charles' record there is a copy of a letter Samuel wrote to the Base Records office in Oct 1919 requesting admittance cards to the Finalizing Depot at Melbourne, (which were forwarded to him) for he and his wife Rachel, so they could meet Charles when the Ascanius docked 6/11/1919.

[His address at the time was Norfolk House, Garfield, Vic]

Hope your GGF Samuel's records are found one day - but until then, happy researching.

Cheers, Frev

Thank you so much Frev and friends it was so heart warming to get your responses and very kind. I have to say only yesturday before I found this update.. I found my G/Grandfather's records YAY! it was hidden in the National Archives link site 'mapping our anzacs' there are links there to the towns were our diggers enlisted and lists if anyone is looking for another site to check out. It had all his records hidden there! so if you can only find your enlistment certificate for your soldier check it out you may be suprised as I was as with the content lol! some things best left unsaid! lol! Thanks also for the info Frev some of it I already knew of Charles Samuel's brother but I didn't know of the link with William his wife's brother serving with them. Interesting stuff will follow that one up. Graet idea those books will have to see if i can track them down in the library system or bookstores and read up. I will also try to see if I can find out about this ship the family talks about he was torpedoed on.. i have a picture I will post of him when he was rescued. I think you might be right will google and see what I can find. I also found a picture of the Benalla when it sailed from Melbourne will post that one too if i can. I am finally back into my research and am looking forward to catching up on your diary will get back to it and see where I left off. It has left me so far just in awe of how these men survived like my great granfather and how in turn I am alive today... those boys that came back..it makes you wonder all those bullets and shrapnel they dodged, makes you wonder if some devine hand above was watching over them.. then I look at all those graves. the lists of men who didn't come back... it humbles you to think your alive and so many other generations never got a chance.. lets make it count.

Thanks again for your kindness i hope i can help you too in some way..

Cheers Julie x

Thank you so much Frev and friends it was so heart warming to get your responses and very kind. I have to say only yesturday before I found this update.. I found my G/Grandfather's records YAY! it was hidden in the National Archives link site 'mapping our anzacs' there are links there to the towns were our diggers enlisted and lists if anyone is looking for another site to check out. It had all his records hidden there! so if you can only find your enlistment certificate for your soldier check it out you may be suprised as I was as with the content lol! some things best left unsaid! lol! Thanks also for the info Frev some of it I already knew of Charles Samuel's brother but I didn't know of the link with William his wife's brother serving with them. Interesting stuff will follow that one up. Graet idea those books will have to see if i can track them down in the library system or bookstores and read up. I will also try to see if I can find out about this ship the family talks about he was torpedoed on.. i have a picture I will post of him when he was rescued. I think you might be right will google and see what I can find. I also found a picture of the Benalla when it sailed from Melbourne will post that one too if i can. I am finally back into my research and am looking forward to catching up on your diary will get back to it and see where I left off. It has left me so far just in awe of how these men survived like my great granfather and how in turn I am alive today... those boys that came back..it makes you wonder all those bullets and shrapnel they dodged, makes you wonder if some devine hand above was watching over them.. then I look at all those graves. the lists of men who didn't come back... it humbles you to think your alive and so many other generations never got a chance.. lets make it count.

Thanks again for your kindness i hope i can help you too in some way..

Cheers Julie x

Hey guys I have some photos to post to share but having trouble any suggestions? cheers julie

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Julian and Marina,

I have found out so much more of my mothers great Uncle's time in the war. I thought he was in the 7th BN but infact he was in the 8th BN so reading all of these transcriptions I can just imagine him along side John Pitt.

Leonard Geroge Prentice Errey served in Gallipoli as a private and was promoted through the ranks, being commisioned in France in 1916. He became a Lieutenant and was awarded the DSO and MC. We have a letter from General Birdwood to Len Errey congratuating him on his gallantry at the Polygon Woods where he and 4 men rushed through their own heavy barrage and in the face of this machine gunfire, captured 2 machine guns. I would love to know who the other 4 men are but they were all I believe given a DSO. It was 20th September 1917.

My brother has his diary of his time in Gallipoli which I will attempt to borrow and another relative has his second diary in France. Not sure if I can ever find that one. He was on the same ship to Egypt as your Grandfather too. They would have spent alot of time together. Amazing

Sorry its taken me along while to get back to this forum but I have much more time on my hands now so will update you shortly.

Kind Regards

Justine

QUOTE (marina @ Apr 17 2010, 09:52 PM) it would be wonderful to see this other diary, Justine. I have missed John Pitt!

How are you, Julian?

Marina

I am fine thanks Marina, yourself? It would be great if Justine could transcribe Len's diary for the forum, would love to read another's perspective.

Julian