Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

44056 Sydney James DANN 11Bn KRRC

Hi Looking for more info on Sydney James Dann. Family ties.

We know he was a rifleman in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps during 1914 and 15. And trained to be an officer.

But nothing more than this - welcome any information you have. 

We do have this picture of him and his unit - titled KRRC 1914/15.

Also have his Medal card attached if it helps.

Thanks in Advance

Tim

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

WO-372-5-163569 - Sydney James Dann.pdf

Edited by Guest

Welcome to the Forum !

The Medal Index Card for 44056 Sydney James DANN also relates to a Medal Roll where he is shown as being in 11 Battalion KRRC, and joining a war zone after 31 December 1915 as he is not listed as having an entitlement to the 1914 or 1914-15 Star. 

11 Battalion were formed at Winchester in Sept 1914 and were a part of 59 Infantry Brigade of 20 Division. This unit first landed in France in July 1915 and it seems likely that your subject landed at some time after Dec 1915 as a part of a replacement draft.

You can find a few more facts in the Long Long Trail at top left of this page.

I can see no mention of his training to be an Officer in these papers, but what there is on the National Archives website is a service file for a Lieutenant Sydney James DANN of the Royal Artillery. Whether this has anything to do with your subject might only be seen from a read of the file, here is the ref link:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1118967

Another thought,now looking at the badges,not what I recall a KRRC badge to be like, but it may be that someone here can say whether there were other styles for New Army units, though the Sergeant's chevrons and the officer's dark uniform seem to fit ! The few medal ribbons seen may relate to Boer War service.

Edited by sotonmate

The RA officer is almost certainly the RHA sergeant of that name commissioned wef 29 May 1916 ** (LG 3 Jul 1916) into the RFA - OR number 13526. to France Dec 1914

Max

** Medal roll says 1915 - likely misprint

The Artillery man also has an MiD in FWR

First Name:
S J
Surname:
Dann
Lieutenant
Gazette Info:
Gazette Issue 30693. Mentioned in Despatches. This Officer's name was submitted for special mention in recognition of his gallant and distinguished conduct in the field.
Gazette Date:
17/05/1918
Gazette Page:
Service:
British Army

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/5486918/lieutenant-s-j-dann-british-army-royal-field-artillery/

George

Tim

How did you choose the KRRC Dann ? Do you have facts for sure or did you pick the wrong one !

The cap badge looks more like ASC rather than KRRC.

But note the black buttons and the dark background to the serjeant's stripes  - KRRC indicators..

Max

I must admit I'd noticed the buttons but not the stripes.

Simon

That said, I agree the badge doesn't look like KRRC (and I meant dark stripes rather than back ground) so your query is well founded!  

Max

Are the medal ribbons from WW1 or earlier  

2 hours ago, johnboy said:

Must be pre-war if the picture does date to 1914/15 - probably Boer war in that case.

Craig

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 16:58, tjwall 32 said:

...We do have this picture of him and his unit - titled KRRC 1914/15...

8 hours ago, johnboy said:

6 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Must be pre-war if the picture does date to 1914/15 - probably Boer war in that case.

The attributed date must be wrong, as the ribbons include various WW1 pairs and trios post-1919, plus the caps are the bigger peaked variety introduced in 1921...

Where was he from and aprox year of birth?

On the basis of the photo and medal ribbons and cap badge discrepancy it will be worth checking we have the right name

• spof changed the title to 44056 Sydney James DANN 11Bn KRRC