Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

All the research.

Kath

I think this has been discussed before.

What will happen to all our research, our collection?

Do we donate it to an archive?

And when?

In our will, or before, when we can bear to let it go?

Kath.

depends if I die as planned (very old)...or sooner.  I have no intention of sitting in a cold house with no food looking at my hoard of treasures so it will be sold when the time comes

the research for each medal I have will hopefully be sold with the medals - a number of medals I have sold with research have come back to the market with no research. 

the bulk of my database Ive already shared with the Coldstream gds HQ to add to theirs. Unless my son is interested in my research Ill just make it all available on line for everyone 

Edited by Coldstreamer

59 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

a number of medals I have sold with research have come back to the market with no research. 

That is depressing as well as suprising.

3 hours ago, Kath said:

I think this has been discussed before.

What will happen to all our research, our collection?

I think this is down to each individual, and to what they want to do with whatever assets they have.

I have no militaria myself, what I do have are digital assets. I have put this on a website. In addition, I have requested that it be added to the UK Web Archive. If I were to die tomorrow, and the website would cease to be thereafter, the snapshots would mean that it had saved for posterity, and is in the public domain. A lot of websites created for the WW1 centenary have been registered thus. 

3 hours ago, Kath said:

I think this has been discussed before...

Here

1. Bear in mind that your executors may not share your enthusiasm for your collection/notes and may not have the time or inclination to find a good home for them.

2. Make clear your wishes, if not in your will, then in a document lodged with it.

3. Suggest in that document a Plan B (or even C) as an alternative destination.

4. Check that the organisation you would like your material to go to actually wants it.

5. Regularly view the arrangements that you decide on.

As to "when", for some years I've been very gradually de-cluttering in anticipation of downsizing, rather than events catching up with me and having to dispose of cherished items in a rush or when I'm not so capable of doing so.

Moonraker

• 3 months later...

I have been doing a small research project that has covered a small set of men. I have not wanted this just to sit in a spreadsheet, and for that to disappear into obscurity.

I have been able to add some extra info to the details for these persons by adding tagging to their MIC webpage, as contained within Discovery, the catalogue of The National Archives. This has met my needs, as the info that i have is not extensive. Anyone looking at the MIC will have some extra info on those men.

Had it been the case that I had extensive biographies, then I would have considered publishing the data on a website or a blog. I know someone who is still researching post-centenary, and is sharing his research with the wider world.

The advantage of this is that you can register your site with the UK Web Archive. Even if your website were to come down, their "data scrapes" would mean that copies would be available for future generations.