Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nursing Sister Jessie Emily Wakefield

Marilyne

Good afternoon all, 

Still in my research on the women who are buried on the Western Front, I'm calling out for help on this one: there seems to be not much to be found about Nursing Sister Jessie Emily Wakefield... the British nurse who served with the Territorial Nursing Service and died in Etaples in February 1919, NOT the ANZAC nurse!! 

Is there any Pal who could help me out on this one?? Anyone have some information about her??? 

What we know from the CWGC database is that she was the daughter of Richard and Emily Wakefield, of Maidstone, Kent, that she was 39 years of age when she died (and considering the date I’d say from the flu) and that at some point she was awarded the badge of an Associate of the Royal Red Cross. 

Thanks in advance!! 

M. 

Edited by Marilyne

I had similar with a state enrolled nurse,I wrote to the royal college of nursing they were very good,,I have just finished a qaimns again I e mailed TNA they have lots of records on nurses,and sent me for £3.50 her medal record that had some of her service and her full name 

:poppy:

I've searched the national archives for her service record, but without avail... but I'll contact the college... thanks!! 

M.

From Nursing Register - click

nurse1.jpg.381a21b6bc5aae18562af987776476b1.jpg

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

Marilyne,

Her service record is here {all 130 pages!}  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10808224

Regards,

Alf McM

WHAAAAT??? 

How did I miss this??? 

Probably because I kept on using the "Emily" in there... search machine never managed to find it... you must have golden fingers... off I go then to read 130 pages. 

Thanks also to Corisande !! 

M.

Marilyne,

Maud McCarthy, in her war diaries {as transcribed by the late Sue Light} notes the following deaths in February 1919;-

Casualties
Sister Wakefield, TFNS, on 7.2.19: Cerebro-spinal meningitis
Miss A. E. Young, VAD, on 13.2.19: Influenza
Miss M. C. Bousfield, VAD, on 24.2.19: Broncho-Pneumonia

Regards,

Alf McM