Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Colleen

Chris_Baker

hello all, has anyone any info about the hms colleen, was it a ship or a station in queenstown ireland, again i would appriciate any help, thanks john

Hello John,

HM Composite screw corvette ROYALIST, 1,420 tons, built Devonport 1883, which had been used for Harbour service since 2/1900 was renamed COLLEEN on 1/12/1913. Subsequently transferred to the Irish Govt on 19/2/1923.

Best wishes

David

hello david , thanks again, on a admiralty report from queentown about the loss of the armed trawler bradford the heading was hms colleen, could it have been the ship in charge of the armed trawler section, queenstown was quite a big base in ww1 so i would have thought they would have possibly had a larger vessel as base vessel, i would value your opinion on this one, thanks again, john

HMS Colleen was the Base at Queenstown, Ireland 1916-19. Various postings for RMLI were "Haulbowline Island" & "Admiralty House".

Cobh is the modern name for Queenstown in Cork. Its pronounced Cove.

Tom.

hello john and tom, thankyou for those pieces of information, much appriciated, regards john

Hello John,

I don't know whether HMS COLLEEN was specifically the base ship for the armed trawlers operating out of Queenstown, but remember that all RN personnel had to be attached to a ship according to discipline regulations, not just to a base. In many cases the nominal base ship was small, eg a trawler. In one case a cutter was used.

Best wishes

David

hello david, do you think the hms colleen was a ship or the name of the base itself? regards john

hello david, do you think the hms colleen was a ship or the name of the base itself? regards john

hope this helps regards tony

HMS COLLEEN (1883), Shorebase (static ship). Queenstown. Receiving ship.

Nominal Depot ship HMS ROYALIST (1883), "SATELLITE" class composite screw

sloop upgraded to corvettes. 1900 - 1913 as hulk receiving ship, Queenstown.

Renamed and Commisssioned as HMS COLLEEN, 1st December 1913 - Paid Off 15th.

March 1922, World War One, used as Depot ship for Auxiliary Patrol Service,

Queenstown., transferred to the the Irish Goverment 19th. February 1923.

Broken Up 1950.

also listed as HMS ROYALIST (1883), Haulbowline, accomodation ship corvette,

harbour service February 1900 as hulk to receive crews of ships at

Haulbowline, renamed COLLEEN 1st. December 1913, transferred to Irish

Goverment 19th. February 1923.

thankyou very much for that info. tony, it is of great help, regards john

hello, thanks for that, i will read through it, regards, john

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Looking for assistance please with my Family Member:

Robert James Cregan Cat Reference ADM/188/216 Image 275

After 25 years Service sent to the HMS COLLEEN and then Shore Leave 21/7/1916 due to return to the Colleen 1st October 1916 and we have no information on him afterwards.

Service Number 150879

Any help appreciated please,

Erin

He was not sent on "Shore Leave" in July 1916. He was, in fact, discharged to 'Shore', i.e. out of the Service. After serving his 12-year initial engagement, expiring in 1903 (when he was again discharged 'Shore'), he was re-entered in October 1915. He only served nine months (mostly in COLLEEN) before being discharged again (reason not given but authorised by Admiralty Letter of 21 July 1916).

Thank you so much for your help. When you say Discharged to Shore would that mean he maybe did something not honerable to be discharged to shore not once but twice? The reason I ask is that we can find no information on him after the last date in 1916. Do you think it is possible to trace the letter you have mentioned?

Sorry to be so vague he seems to disappear and maybe he did not return to his Family for some reason.

Thank you again,

Erin

Nothing dishonourable - the 1903 discharge was a normal discharge on completion of his 12-year engagement of Continuous Service (CS) (marked "Shore CS Expired). The second discharge could have been for any of a number of administrative reasons but not disciplinary. The letter has not survived.

Thank you so very much Robert James Cregan comes from a long line of Royal Navy Men and Coastguards. We have been as a Family unable to locate him at all after the Discharge date in 1916 in Cobh County Cork. Is it possible he may have found work on other Ships in you opinion? And if so would you have any guesses where we may continue to look?

Erin

Sorry, no. Once discharged he would have entered the general population - unlikely to have re-enlisted at his age - so you have to rely on non-service sources.

• 4 years later...

Trying to find out what I can about John Fisher who was on the Colleen & Heccla II during WW1. All I know is that he was born in Hull about 1885 and his father was also called John. I have been unable to find him on any census record and wondered if there are any shipping records that may give details of his whereabout before 1915.

The National Archive Record for 1915 shows John born Hull 10 October 1885 to parents John & Frances Louisa and John Jnr's address as 19 Albert Street Fleetwood. I cannot be 100% sure if I have the correct man but John Fisher married Eliza Leadbetter in 1907 and their address was shown as 9 Albert Street Fleetwood, so is the Navy Record showing a typing error and I do have the correct John Fisher or is the is just a strange coincidence.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks Julie

• 4 months later...

Still looking for more information about John Fisher. Are there any other records I can access about the "Colleen" and "Hecla II ". I would like to try and find where John Fisher first boarded these ships and if there are any personal data. relating to him.

Thanks Julie

COLLEEN and HECLA II were not sea-going ships but shore-based parent ships (at Queenstown and Buncrana, Ireland respectively), so he never "boarded" them. Rather, the boats of the Auxiliary Patrol in which he served (which should be on his record) operated from those bases.

For a 'good read' about the operations of those Aux Patrol boats from Ireland see "Danger Zone" by E Keble Chatterton.(1934).

It is highly unlikely that any other "personal data" about his RNR service exists other than what you have in his record.

Hi Julie

Is the 'National Archive Record for 1915' you mention a copy of his Royal Naval Reserve record card number TS 4885. (trawler section)?

If it is ,could you let me know his enrolment date.

There is a CR10 merchant seaman record card from 1918-21 for a John Fisher, born 10 October 1886 in Hull with a photo included.. This looks like the same man to me. You may have already located it.

best wishes

ernestjames