Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was Dam Strasse? (28/ O.9.B.66)

Julian Sinclair

My Relative James Flynn , ex Worcestershire Regiment was killed 24th July 1917 just before The Third Battle of Ypres.  Initially he was buried here (see co-ordinates) then relocated later to a concentration cemetry at Vormezeele and buried again.

The concentration grave book gives his original grave as Trench Map Sheet 28 O, 9, B, 66.  I attach a copy of that part of the trench map.

My question is, does anyone know anything about 'Dam Strasse'?  I have read 'Slaves of The War Lords' by Henry Russell (wonderful book), no mention of it.  Tried to find keys to these maps, but would like some guidance as to exactly what this place was if anyone knows.

thanks 

James Flynn Last Stand Godezone Farm O.9.B.66.png

Hi Julian,

According to this old thread, it was a Roman Road leading to White Chateau.  The thread has photos, a book reference and maps.  Extensive mentions on Wikipedia also.  As it was a sunken road (ie could not be observed and therefore had good protection from direct and indirect fire) it was used for transporting supplies.

The Street View image is taken from the nearest road, looking down Damm Strasse between Ravine Wood on the left and the existing road.

image.png.b22016dbaa6bd4b328ea08355af80e33.png

The Dammstrasse as it looks now. (Standing in the Rijselseweg.)

Yes, I know, it is a "selfie", but I have to be honest: my shadow was 11 years younger then. Photo taken in Oct. 2008 ...  :-)

Aurel

Dammstrasse 271008 007.jpg

Just to clarify: this road was NOT a Roman road, but it was built in 1900/06 when the whole area and the chateau was completely rebuilt by the owner at that time.

Jan

Thanks for that reply great detail,

It was the castellation bits on its side that looked strange, or was this the typical way a sunken road was illustrated on these maps?

Julian

It was not a sunken road, on the contrary, the road was higher than the surroundings, and bunkers etc. were built in the enbankments. I don't know the word in English for this kind of road.

Jan

The bottom righthand map in post #2 clearly shows the road as a sunken road. 
The symbols used can be found here 

Charlie

10 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

The bottom righthand map in post #2 clearly shows the road as a sunken road. 
The symbols used can be found here 

Charlie

This is how the former road still looked in 1938: https://www.royalscotsfusiliers1940.com/about1-c17dk?lightbox=image1y4p

Sorry Jan, the map shown in post #2 is obviously wrong. Another map shows the road running along the top of the embankment.

F1002E0E-D4AA-4C4C-BCB5-74353C6E3367.jpeg

3 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Sorry Jan, the map shown in post #2 is obviously wrong.

Hi charlie2, the map in post #2 appears to be the same as post #1.  Post #1 cites the CWGC Concentration Report:

image.png.7e5f3d43f521a129642b7c2e64bdbab1.png

Post #1 quotes Sheet 28 O.9.b.6.6 and displays a 1:40,000 map and says that this location is Damm Strasse.

On 27/02/2020 at 10:13, Julian Sinclair said:

Trench Map Sheet 28 O, 9, B, 66

image.png.3ac3fa324c50ed479ede25dff8ba9138.png

Post #2 puts a blue pin on the letter s in 'Damm Strasse' at O.9.b.6.6.  Post #2 shows the phrase 'Cutting about 10 ft.' above the blue pin.

image.png.586f58b858fc9887fae620cf9c65ffe6.png

Posts #1, #2 and #9 all appear to show Sheet 28 O.9.b.6.6 at the same location - Damm Strasse.  Post #9 appears to have selected a map from May 11th 1918 and it also shows the phrase 'Cutting about 10 ft.' around O.9.b.6.6.  This is as shown in #2:

image.png.6ebac8f1b77616e3c05fcc53909cbc90.png

What has been missed?

It is the correct map, I was just referring to the way Damm Strasse has been represented on the map. It has been shown as a cutting and not as an embankment.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, now I understand!  The location is correct and the grid correct but it is incorrectly represented on the map.  Cheers and thanks.

Julian, thanks for asking the question; it's a feature that I've never visited or got my head around. Thanks also to all the contributors, it's all suddenly become clear to me.

Pete.

On 27/02/2020 at 11:37, Aurel Sercu said:

Yes, I know, it is a "selfie", but I have to be honest: my shadow was 11 years younger then. Photo taken in Oct. 2008 ...  :-)

Aurel

P.S. Like the sort of selfie Aurel, was Madame Sercu was in the car nearby wondering why you are taking photos of muddy fields for your mad mates? Or were you on a long bike ride from beautiful Boezinge?