Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Riding Regiment 9th Battalion

Allan1892

Thank you Max. I have just had a look via Ancestry and although the front page says July 1915 to March 1919 the last page is for late February 1918. S**ds law, I'm looking for October 1918 when 'my man' was KIA.

Allan

Many thanks Max, I now know where 'my man' was on the 12th of October 1918.

How on earth did you find this section, totally out of date order?

Allan

My great Uncle was killed whilst serving with the 9th West Yorks 27th September 1916 whilst i believe attacking the stuff redoubt.

Sorry just realised you said 9th West Riding.

Edited by harley1962

The diary is much more detailed than many giving the start point of the day's action and the objectives and subsequent moves/.   These can all be found on this map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=13&lat=50.15369&lon=3.52972&layers=101465122&b=1

This piece:https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battlefields/how-to-read-a-british-trench-map/ gives guidance on the grid references.

The blue slider button on the left of the map can be altered to show the present day satellite image.

Max

Max - many thanks for pointing me to the trench map. I have been able to trace the battalion on the 12th October 1918 and the approximate area of 'my man's' death.

I was lucky to find that his service record still exists but I wonder if you can answer a couple of questions. His record shows that he attested on the 29/1/1916 in Cramlington, Northumberland. It goes on to show that he was placed in the Army Reserve the following day until being mobilised on 1/5/1918. It shows that he was 'home' for the period 1.5.1918 to 31.8.1918; posted to the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (service number 76085) and then permanently transferred to the 9th West Riding on the 3/9/1918 with a new service number (35578) joining them in the field ?/9/1918 only to be KIA on the 12th October.

My questions are:

•  What role did the Army reserve carry out, was it similar to the TA?
  • Would reservists attend camps until mobilisation?
  • Would he have returned to his civilian occupation (coal miner) at any stage during his time in the Army reserve?

Apologies if my questions are silly but it is the first time that I have found any of my ancestors in the Army reserve.

Allan

Note paragraph 11 of his attestation form.  He was posted to 4 Bn West Yorks which was a reserve battalion but he went back to his civilian job awaiting the call which, as a miner, came much later.  He was not required to train during that time.

It may be too much info but the term "reserve" also needs some explanation:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/

Max

Hi Allan,

Looking at his CWGC record (link), it looks like his body was exhumed from map reference 57b.K13.a.5.4. before being moved to his current resting place. That map reference is likely to be close to where he originally fell.

image.png.b4f6937d5712e3dcf4963e97d1c630e3.png

Image sourced from the CWGC

Mapping his exhumation against the map references in the war diary it looks like you appear to get something like:

image.png.480d578921113be14b364fcbf39d9d23.png

Base map sourced from the National Library of Scotland, previously linked by Max

If you don't already have it, a low resolution black and white scan of what was accepted as his 'will' seems to be available - link. It looks like British War Graves (link) could send you an image of his grave (free of charge) if needs be.

Regards

Chris

Thank you both for replying.

Max - Thanks for link to the LongLongTrail - I now have an understanding of the term 'reservist'.

Chris - Thank you for the images, I had seen the Burial Return but hadn't got round to trace the map ref of his temp. grave. I had already ordered a copy of his will a couple of days ago and I have a pretty good image of his headstone.

Regards to you both,

Allan

Currently having a good read of the war diaries of the 9th Battalion West Riding. I find that on the 5th October 1918, whilst at Rocquigny, the men were training on L.G. (I take this as Lewis Guns) R.G. and rifle firing. Can anyone tell me what R.G. stands for?

Allan

• 1 year later...
On 27/02/2020 at 12:08, Allan1892 said:

Max - many thanks for pointing me to the trench map. I have been able to trace the battalion on the 12th October 1918 and the approximate area of 'my man's' death.

I was lucky to find that his service record still exists but I wonder if you can answer a couple of questions. His record shows that he attested on the 29/1/1916 in Cramlington, Northumberland. It goes on to show that he was placed in the Army Reserve the following day until being mobilised on 1/5/1918. It shows that he was 'home' for the period 1.5.1918 to 31.8.1918; posted to the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (service number 76085) and then permanently transferred to the 9th West Riding on the 3/9/1918 with a new service number (35578) joining them in the field ?/9/1918 only to be KIA on the 12th October.

My questions are:

•  What role did the Army reserve carry out, was it similar to the TA?
  • Would reservists attend camps until mobilisation?
  • Would he have returned to his civilian occupation (coal miner) at any stage during his time in the Army reserve?

Apologies if my questions are silly but it is the first time that I have found any of my ancestors in the Army reserve.

Allan

Your man's experience almost exactly mirrors my great grandfathers (Pvt Laws 35537); they were both transferred from the 2nd/W. Yorks to the 9th on the same day.  He was wounded 18/9/18 and subsequently honourably discharged.

Everyone knows the word Cavalry, but you say “ riding regiment??  Same thing

18 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

Nope... to give them their full title The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment (West Riding) were very much infantry and not cavalry.

1 hour ago, jay dubaya said:

The Dukes were a regiment largely recruited in the West Riding of Yorkshire.The ridings were the largest divisions of land in that English County.

named for the Duke of Wellington, it was the only regiment in the British army named for someone who was not a member of the royal family.

Ahem... interesting that I'm quoted as saying that, my response has been omitted, that quote is from Steve1871.

So Riding or West Riding is a type of area, people or like a volunteer militia? Still sounds odd to an American here?

Ridings were medieval sub-divisions of the county of Yorkshire: North, West and East Riding. Viking/Norse origin apparently. Think they were ditched in 1974 during the mass reform of county boundaries/admin, although still used today culturally, e.g., sport etc.

ridingsmap477.gif