Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Horse Called King

Solo33

I've been away from the forum for a while now, but remember a personal account from a soldier who had to put down a horse called 'King'. He watches remembrance parades and recalls fallen comrades, but above all he remembers King.

I attached it to the picture of 'Goodbye Old Man' and created a very moving ensemble, but over time, lost the image.

I would like to recreate that image. I know it will be on the forum somewhere - I think I even posted it years ago. Can anyone direct me to the story or to the image please?

Thanks

Edited by Solo33
grammar

As I always point out when Goodbye Old Man is released from its stable, the picture was painted by Fortunio Matania and given to the charity Our Dumb Friends' League for their Blue Cross Fund, which was established to assist animal welfare amongst the Allied Armies. The painting now resides (well, it was there when I took my leave in September 2018) at the Blue Cross Animal Hospital in Victoria, SW1. Given that senior management never seemed frightfully concerned about it I did ponder bringing it with me but I couldn't figure how to get the thing on the handlebars of my Brompton.

Hello Steven.

I see you are still thriving. Matania produced some of the most intense drawings of the war and is well worth a scan through his work.

And to Sepoy; yes this is the picture, but I'm sure somewhere in the Forum archives, there is my old post where the very moving story of King is attached.

I think there once was a category called Poems and Stories but I can't find it now.

2 hours ago, Solo33 said:

Hello Steven.

I see you are still thriving.

Still shaking the tree. 'Thriving' ... hmmm ...

• Admin

Gordon

I did manage to merge your previous account. If you click on your profile name you will see the posts you made that have been carried forward. Sadly your post on this subject doesn't appear to be amongst them. However, a search of the forum for Matania shows 172 hits including this one (from Mr B ) from 2006 which may be of interest.

David