Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

USA WW1 Helmet - Help with stamping

gudnuff

I'm new here, so excuse me if I screw up. I've been a member of Gunboards for several years. Here is my question..
I was presented last night with this WWl US helmet. My grandson went to the SOS in Louisville, and know2ing my interest in this "old stuff" decided to buy me something. I don't think he did too badly. I finally got him to admit that he gave $120.00 for it. The liner and chin strap appear to be original and it doesn't appear to be messed with. My question is about the stamping on the rim. The numbers 192 with the letters ZD underneath. Can anyone shed any light on this please. 

20200222_105928_1582391381341[9].jpg

20200222_105907_1582391381782[11].jpg

20200222_105916_1582391381596[10].jpg

• ss002d6252 changed the title to USA WW1 Helmet - Help with stamping

Hi Gudnuff,

Welcome to the Forum and what a generous grandson you have to make you a present of such a nice, untouched helmet.

As far as the marking on your helmet is concerned I believe the letter Z is to identify the supplier of the steel used to make the helmet, the letter D identifies the helmet shell manufacturer and 192 is the heat or batch number of the steel used to enable the helmets to be identified should there be a problem with that steel.

As far as I am aware, although there is a list of some seven companies which pressed helmet shells, research has not yet been able to identify the individual manufacturers from the initial found on the helmets but perhaps someone else has more information.

Quite often there is an ink stamp to the interior of the liner giving details of the liner manufacturer and sometimes the year of manufacture.  However, to see that it is necessary to unfold the black liner material and I advise you not to do that as you may cause damage to the material.

In case you want to read further attached is a website which may be of interest.

Best wishes,

Michael. 

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/helmet17.htm

Thank you Michael, I've been collecting German edged weapons for over 40 years, but this is my first helmet if I get another I might try and find an affordable WW l German, however if they are like most items of the period that may be an impossibility.