Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dorset Officers 1st Batt

markinbelfast

Marc,

I came happened across your post concerning Athelstan Key Durance George while doing some internet research on my family history after the recent death of my 94 year old aunt...she and my 91 year old father are the niece and nefew of AKDG. I really know very little about him although he obviously lived a very interesting if short life. If you are still in possesion of electronic copies of photos, and if not too much of an imposition, I would be very greatful to have them!

Regards,

Michael George

Steve,

There is an interesting story connected with this album and also a public message of thanks to be made to 'Ash' and his wife.

The album is of Lieutenant Athelstan Key Durrance GEORGE (AKDG) and spans in photographs his life from Caius College, Cambridge in 1904 to his regimental days in India circa 1909 with other photos until 1912. AKDG died of wounds 14 September 1914 and is buried in Coulommiers Communal Cemetery.

The album was acquired by Ash purely by chance and had spent the last 40 years in a farm workers loft having originally been found in a ditch.

Strenuous efforts were made by Ash and his wife to contact AKDG's family but they were apparently not interested in having the album and so, late last year, it was offered to me at no cost, a very generous gesture on behalf of Ash and his wife for which I publicly thank them.

My interest in AKDG stems from my research into the Romsey War Memorial which, together with a good friend, I have undertaken over the last few years. AKDG is listed on the Town memorial and his Grandparents erected a plaque to his memory in Romsey Abbey; he has been a part of the town's history ever since.

When complete, the results of the memorial research and any associated artefacts that I have acquired will de donated to either the main local history group for Romsey or the heritage centre, the album will form part of this donation. In this way, the album will be conserved and others will be able to view the album as it is a record of a man's life. If this is not an option, I will donate the album to The Keep Museum.

Prior to sending me the album the Curator at the King's Liverpool Museum was sent a scan of the relevant photographs for AKDG's time in the 4th Battalion, KLR.

I am more than happy to scan and send you the photographs depicting AKDG's time in the Dorsets and will extend this offer to The Keep Museum.

Tomorrow, I will post a list of the named individuals that are depicted in photographs in the album in case others are interested.

Marc

• 10 months later...

Hello Mr. Thompson

My name is Margaret Taggart - you have had previous correspondance with my son-in-law, Michael George with respect to an album and research information pertaining to Michael's great Uncle, Lieutenant Athelstan Key Durance George of the Dorset Rgmt. I'm not sure if you've received his and my previous emails as we haven't heard back you.

I will be visiting a friend in Hook Norton, Oxon, between March 9 - 15,2012 and realized that Romsey is about a 1 1/2 hour drive away. I would very much like to visit Romsey and follow through with Michael's passion to learn more about his ancestors. Would it be possible to arrange a meeting with either you or Victoria Burbidge to perhaps gain some insight into the life and times of of AKDG. I would also bring with me a laptop computer and USB storage devices in hopes of obtaining an electronic copy of his ancestor's album and any of the research you are willing to share, that you had offered to pass on to Michael.

Michael is very pleased that Lesley Crase had the forsight to ensure that the images from the album should remain intact together, as the album is a record of his ancestor's life from Caius College Cambridge in 1904 to his regimental days in India, circa 1909 with other photos until 1912. It's placement in a museum is appropriate so it will be preserved and available to future generations. Michael is also very keen that electronic copies in their entirety be available to AKDG's ancestors, including his still living nephew (Michael's father who is turning 92) and Michael's children. It would be a wonderful birthday gift to AKDG's nephew if I could assure him a copy of this very important piece of family history was back in the family. Please let me know if there is a date/time available for a meeting.

Thank you,

Margaret

Steve,

There is an interesting story connected with this album and also a public message of thanks to be made to 'Ash' and his wife.

The album is of Lieutenant Athelstan Key Durrance GEORGE (AKDG) and spans in photographs his life from Caius College, Cambridge in 1904 to his regimental days in India circa 1909 with other photos until 1912. AKDG died of wounds 14 September 1914 and is buried in Coulommiers Communal Cemetery.

The album was acquired by Ash purely by chance and had spent the last 40 years in a farm workers loft having originally been found in a ditch.

Strenuous efforts were made by Ash and his wife to contact AKDG's family but they were apparently not interested in having the album and so, late last year, it was offered to me at no cost, a very generous gesture on behalf of Ash and his wife for which I publicly thank them.

My interest in AKDG stems from my research into the Romsey War Memorial which, together with a good friend, I have undertaken over the last few years. AKDG is listed on the Town memorial and his Grandparents erected a plaque to his memory in Romsey Abbey; he has been a part of the town's history ever since.

When complete, the results of the memorial research and any associated artefacts that I have acquired will de donated to either the main local history group for Romsey or the heritage centre, the album will form part of this donation. In this way, the album will be conserved and others will be able to view the album as it is a record of a man's life. If this is not an option, I will donate the album to The Keep Museum.

Prior to sending me the album the Curator at the King's Liverpool Museum was sent a scan of the relevant photographs for AKDG's time in the 4th Battalion, KLR.

I am more than happy to scan and send you the photographs depicting AKDG's time in the Dorsets and will extend this offer to The Keep Museum.

Tomorrow, I will post a list of the named individuals that are depicted in photographs in the album in case others are interested.

Marc

• 2 years later...

I know this is a very old post, but I would be very interested in a copy of the photo. I am tracking various men from Bournemouth, and John Turner in the photo was one of the ones I am tracking. He was killed later in the year, but his younger brother went on to serve the regiment.

Will

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...