Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt George Close, 7th Batt Leicestershire Regiment

I am trying to trace the likely movements of my grandfather through WW1.  He was a regular through the Boer War and India to 1906, and recalled from reserve in 1914.  Most of the war he was in the 3rd reserve Batt, presumably training new soldiers.  He seems to have been posted to the 9th Batt arriving in France on 26th September 1917, then transferred to 7th Batt (due to losses), until being gassed on 30th April 1918.  Although he recovered at a hospital in Leeds, i suspect that he did not return to the front.

Any advice as to where to find more detail?

Thanks

you can get access through a free trial subscription to ancestry 

Hi Robin Close, the 6th,7th,8th and 9th Battalions Leicesters were collectively the 110th Brigade or Leicestershire Brigade. As the 9th was the last of these to form it was the first to go, announced on 6th Feb 1918. The officers and men were sent in various numbers to the 11th Battalion (pioneer) Leicesters (6th Div), the 6th, 7th and 8th Battalions Leicesters. So by the 10th Feb the 9th Bat was dispersed. At this time the 110th Brigade was at a place called Epehy. They were in for a hell of a fight starting on the 21st of March, which lasted until the 30th March. On the 23rd March the whole of the 21st Division, (three Brigades, 62th, 64th and 110th) was in retreat and all mixed up together, The 110th Brigade lost 31 officers and 1200  other ranks either killed wounded and taken prisoner. After this the 110th moved to the Ypres Salient to defend an area by the Comines canal. After some hard fighting, 25th to the 30th April they were relieved by the 58th Brigade of the 19th Division. I hope this helps you somewhat. Regards, Bob.

Try "The Tigers" history of 110th brigdae (6th ,7th,8th & 9th battns Leic regiment by Matthew Richardson. A detailed history .  My grandfather served with the 7th Leics and was awarded the DCM for his actions at Epehy in March 1918 , retaking a trench 3 times using Mills bombs.