Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd City of London Regiment Royal Fusiliers

Talbot

I understand that the above regiment was based for a short period of time in Watford, Herts. prior to being sent to the Western Front. Does anyone know when that was and where within the town they may have stayed? I believe my RF grandfather probably met my grandmother there. Any leads much appreciated.

I think they may have trained at Cassiobury park and were billeted throughout the town Will post again if i find anything to confirm this.

Superb photo. Thank you. The old Cassiobury Park entrance gate in the background too! Wonderful. My RF grandfather was a musician too... clarinet and viola. If only this was an RF regiment.

might not answer your questions but will give an idea what he was up to.

https://archive.org/details/royalfusiliersin00onei/page/10/mode/1up

Have you found his Medal Index Card? If so can you give his name and number? Just to check regmentt is Royal Fusiliers and not London Regiment

Thanks again, Johnboy. Yes, I have my grandfather's attestation papers, medal cards and O'Neill's and many other books that relate to my grandfather's (Reginald W Parrish 13872) 2nd Bn. RF movements - India (pre-WWI), Dover, Camp Eastbourne, Gallipoli, Western Front, 3rd WG Hospital, etc. Am writing a book relating to his and my father's lives and military experiences and have visited X Beach, Gallipoli where he landed and wrote of his experience, as well as Army HQ Jubblepore, Darjeeling and other of his Indian destinations, Malta to Ghaijn Tuffeiha Camp, where he convalesced, etc. All amazing and humbling experiences. There are gaps/queries that enthusiasts like yourself have kindly helped me with on my writing journey... there will be a few more! The Watford connection was one. So thank you again... and if you come across anything enlightening re RFs in Watford, or photos of them in action there, I'd appreciate it. If only that Cassiobury marching band photo was the RFs. 😁

I noticed a Neal Street address. Think it is still there, well it was 10 yrs ago when I was cabbing! 

43 minutes ago, johnboy said:

I noticed a Neal Street address. Think it is still there, well it was 10 yrs ago when I was cabbing! 

Yes, the family lived in Neal Street, Watford Fields (round the corner from actor Terry Scott), when my father was very young, then moved to Haydon Road, Oxhey.

43 minutes ago, johnboy said:

What was his wifes maiden name

Agnes Humphries

Can't find agnes in 1911 Census in watford but one aged 29 yrs in Pinner working as domestic servant

12 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Can't find agnes in 1911 Census in watford but one aged 29 yrs in Pinner working as domestic servant

She was a domestic servant to Dr H Wimble in Oxhey (transcribed as Oxley on Ancestry) in the 1911 Census. I don't know how they met but suspect the RF's presence in the town is the answer, as Reginald was from Richmond. I should have asked her but too late now.

. I should have asked her but too late now.

common sentiment expressed on the forum!

From the Long Long Trail website:

2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers
August 1914 : in Calcutta in India.
Returned to England in December 1914. Joined 86th Brigade, 29th Division.
Sailed in March 1915 and landed Gallipoli 25 April 1915.

29th Division

As regular units from the further garrisons of Empire arrived back in England after having received recall orders soon after war was declared, many having waited until a Territorial unit had gone out to replace them, they were formed up into three Divisions, numbered 27th to 29th. The 29th, consisting of units that arrived from the most distant stations, was formed in the Stratford-Warwick-Leamington-Rugby-Nuneaton area of Warwickshire in January-March 1915. Originally intended for France, pressure on Lord Kitchener to launch a ground attack at Gallipoli forced him to deploy the Division there.

The 29th Division embarked at Avonmouth on 16-22 March 1915 and went via Malta to Alexandria

Wikipedia says that 86th Brigade was formed of regular army battalions returning from the empire.

Regrettable but true. The Herts Genealogy site covers the military well... the above photo is the Hampshires. It does cite the 7th RFs, to which my grandfather was posted, but the Watford period is too early in the war to tie in. F

7 minutes ago, travers61 said:

From the Long Long Trail website:

2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers
August 1914 : in Calcutta in India.
Returned to England in December 1914. Joined 86th Brigade, 29th Division.
Sailed in March 1915 and landed Gallipoli 25 April 1915.

29th Division

As regular units from the further garrisons of Empire arrived back in England after having received recall orders soon after war was declared, many having waited until a Territorial unit had gone out to replace them, they were formed up into three Divisions, numbered 27th to 29th. The 29th, consisting of units that arrived from the most distant stations, was formed in the Stratford-Warwick-Leamington-Rugby-Nuneaton area of Warwickshire in January-March 1915. Originally intended for France, pressure on Lord Kitchener to launch a ground attack at Gallipoli forced him to deploy the Division there.

The 29th Division embarked at Avonmouth on 16-22 March 1915 and went via Malta to Alexandria

Wikipedia says that 86th Brigade was formed of regular army battalions returning from the empire.

Thanks. He was a seasoned soldier. A military musician, stretcher bearer, etc.

My father's uncle was also pre-War 2/RF, so will keep an eye out for your book when it is written. I would be interested in what your grandfather had to say about Gallipoli, as my great-uncle landed with the battalion on 25th April (he was killed, sniped, on 26 May).

All the best, Pat

As to the 29th Division, The "Incomparables" were, I think, pretty much the last of the pre-War Regular Army infantry. On deployment to Gallipoli their casualties were very high, echoing the demise of the BEF on the Aisne and at 1st Ypres. 

I'm no expert in the RF, but could the band have at times been seperate from the regiment, if they were used on a recruiting drive, or playing concerts etc. Maybe local papers reported when the band played at a local concert hall.

That seems like a possibility, good thought.

3 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

My father's uncle was also pre-War 2/RF, so will keep an eye out for your book when it is written. I would be interested in what your grandfather had to say about Gallipoli, as my great-uncle landed with the battalion on 25th April (he was killed, sniped, on 26 May).

All the best, Pat

As to the 29th Division, The "Incomparables" were, I think, pretty much the last of the pre-War Regular Army infantry. On deployment to Gallipoli their casualties were very high, echoing the demise of the BEF on the Aisne and at 1st Ypres. 

Thank you for your input. Was your father's uncle on HMS Implacable too, Pat? Being on X Beach where my grandfather landed on 25 April and then looking across to where he was shot was sobering, yet so worthwhile. Gallipoli is such an unspoilt place. If an atmosphere can be described as hauntingly beautiful, this is it.

3 hours ago, travers61 said:

I'm no expert in the RF, but could the band have at times been seperate from the regiment, if they were used on a recruiting drive, or playing concerts etc. Maybe local papers reported when the band played at a local concert hall.

A good point, Travers. I know my RF grandfather played with the Blue Boys at Eastbourne pavilion on the beach.

The band in post 4 is from a "Rifles" regiment as shown by the blackened cap badges and black buttons. If they are, as stated in post 15, a Hampshire unit, then they would be from the 8th (Isle of Wight Rifles) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment (TF).   Pete.

29 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The band in post 4 is from a "Rifles" regiment as shown by the blackened cap badges and black buttons. If they are, as stated in post 15, a Hampshire unit, then they would be from the 8th (Isle of Wight Rifles) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment (TF).   Pete.

Pete, Good detective work...the photographer, Harry Cull, who lived and worked in Watford for some years, was born and spent the early past of his life in IoW and, I believe, retired there. 

11 hours ago, Talbot said:

Thank you for your input. Was your father's uncle on HMS Implacable too, Pat? Being on X Beach where my grandfather landed on 25 April and then looking across to where he was shot was sobering, yet so worthwhile. Gallipoli is such an unspoilt place. If an atmosphere can be described as hauntingly beautiful, this is it.

He was, yes. Unfortunately I don't know which Company he was in, so can't work out his likely moves that day with any more precision - it's written in his paybook will, but the page was torn out in such a way as the lose the crucial letter of the alphabet - hey ho. I feel 2nd RF didn't get much credit for their actions in consolidating the beachead that day; their casualties were high enough, certainly. It must be a very evocative place to visit, and I shall some day. Mind you, I haven't even got to Givenchy in N France yet, which is where his younger brother was KIA (on the same day, by grim coincidence). But one day!

12 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

He was, yes. Unfortunately I don't know which Company he was in, so can't work out his likely moves that day with any more precision - it's written in his paybook will, but the page was torn out in such a way as the lose the crucial letter of the alphabet - hey ho. I feel 2nd RF didn't get much credit for their actions in consolidating the beachead that day; their casualties were high enough, certainly. It must be a very evocative place to visit, and I shall some day. Mind you, I haven't even got to Givenchy in N France yet, which is where his younger brother was KIA (on the same day, by grim coincidence). But one day!

My grandfather summed up the landing as 'hell on earth'. If you go to Gallipoli, can recommend Peter Smith, vuide, at Leger. Excellent!

Dreadful that your ancestor lost two sons on the same day.

1/15th (County of London) Battalion (Prince of Wales’s Own Civil Service Rifles)
August 1914 : at Somerset House. Part of 4th London Brigade, 2nd London Division. Moved on mobilisation to Bedmond, and then in November to billets at Watford.

Before your time frame but shhows Watford was used, Some other London Regiment battalions were also there.