Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade Stripes and badge

harry1895

I believe the photograph below is of a Regular 2nd Battalion RB, who after being wounded, subsequently transferred to the 5th Battalion RB in c.1918.

I think the photo may have been taken c1918/19, when he may have been training new recruits on the Isle of Sheppey.

The cap badge appears to be Rifle Brigade. Is there anything else about the uniform that confirms he is RB?

He  was a Lance Corporal when he was with the 5th Battalion

If you look carefully he has an upturned stripe on each arm. What do these ""inverted stripes" signify (ie Lance Corporal?.....or Good conduct?......or overseas experience....he was in India before the War???)

Also, why does a Lance Corporal have a "Swagger stick".? (....if that is what it is called?). 951120543_dfd(4).jpg.9c01d114504ca676cddce7771e4849f5.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Harry1895

Ps apologies if the photo is too big!

I think this photograph shows a Rifle Brigade Rifleman circa 1910 - 1914. The up turned chevrons are part of the cuff design rather than a good conduct badge.
Swagger sticks were private purchase items carried by the rank and file to stop them sticking their hands in their pockets making them look slovenly. Quite often they were required before they could leave their Barracks.

Sepoy

See here for an example of the uniform
https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/object/46263

Edited by Sepoy