Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DIVISIONAL ARTILLERY GROUP

Acknown

I am trying to discover the constitution of the HQ of a divisional artillery group in 1917 - 1918. My particular interest is the 6th, but it is the make-up of a DAG that I need. Was it just an HQ, or did it have units or departments that physically supported the brigades (such as logistics)? And how might would a Wheeler, who reverted to Driver, be employed therein?

Thanks.

Acknown 

Edited by Acknown

usually ambulance corp, asc unit if mounted farrier /blacksmith+could have r.e  

Biffo,

Many thanks. Do you know if these elements simply supported the DAG HQ itself, or did they have a wider remit throughout the Group? I'm particularly interested in the ASC.

Acknown

pm sent

Hello Acknown

I am not sure what you mean by "Divisional Artillery Group" as the British Army did not use this term. There was a "Headquarters Divisional Artillery" which functioned in the same way as the HQ of an infantry brigade, i.e. as a headquarters only, without extra logistical support. In 1918 it consisted of a commander (CRA, a brigadier-general), a Brigade Major, a Staff Captain (who doubled as ADC), a Staff Lieutenant for reconnaissance duties, a Trench Mortar Officer, four artillery clerks and 14 rank and file. The latter included batmen, a cook, and some drivers for their baggage wagon. There may well have been a wheeler with the HQ but he would be counted according to his rank as driver.

Ron

Ron,

Thank you, you have opened my eyes. His service record survives; Ancestry. I took his posting to be '6th DAG' but on a second (perhaps fifth) look, it probably says '6th DAC' (Divisional Ammunition Column or Divisional Artillery Column), which makes more sense; the former I think. He was a carpenter (trade tested on enlistment), and was a Wheeler (employed in the repair of wheels and the woodwork of carts and wagons) in his brigade (I have read your thread below). As he 'reverted to Driver' on posting, he could have been employed in any part of the divisional ammunition supply chain. I would appreciate your comments.

Acknown