Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any ideas what this arm patch/ badge signifies ?

Tony999

58 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

So over four weeks back in Blighty at some point might explain three chevrons not four?

His RA Attestation record provides more clues (but not enough for a proper picture).  It says France 1914 1915, Salonika 1915/16.  He was married at home in December 1917 which might suggest a prolonged period ar home, perhaps downgraded medically?

The Devonshire connection is clarified a bit by looking at his Labour Corps number which was allocated to the 8th (Devonshire) Infantry Labour Company which became 173 Labour Company Labour Corps. Although the attestation record has LC 6 3 17, this may be actually when he went to the Devonshire predecessor as 173 Company wasn't formed until May 1917. My interpretation is that he spent some/all of 1917 at least at home (he went back to France in mid 1918.

Lots of puzzle pieces, no picture on the box!

Max

Edited by MaxD

I am reading this with great interest but to be honest having trouble trying to follow what is being said so please excuse my lack of understanding. I also know that he was returned to UK on a hospital train due to picking up some sort of infection. Not sure how long he was here for before been sent back. Have been asking family members if they have any details. MaxD that sounds a really good idea about sending off for his service record and many thanks for the links. 
thank you all for finding the time to look further and comment it really is appreciated 

Tony

Yes, I originally wrote "December quarter" but when I saw it was 14 November I amended it but deleted only the quarter bit!!

Do let us know when  you have the record (it takes a little time), there are some intriguing aspects.

Max