Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SAPPER BEDSON - Petit Bois

kim Lawton

My name is Kim Lawton and my maiden name was Bedson, i have just discovered that Sapper Bedson who was the only survivor of the Petit Bois Incident was my Great Grandfather, does anyone know where i can find out any more information about him, i am really interested to know more

Hi and welcome

can you narrow it down a bit with first name or initial, where from, DOB and such to allow us to help more

regards

Jon

2 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Hi and welcome

can you narrow it down a bit with first name or initial, where from, DOB and such to allow us to help more

regards

Jon

I know his full name was William Henry Bedson but cant find out any more about him at the moment

I guess therefore this chap - MIC on Ancestry

Name:William H Bedson

Regiment or Corps:York and Lancaster Regiment, Royal Engineers

Regimental Number:17141, 146336

entitled to BWM & VM and 15 Star

Entered field abroad 15 Jul 1915

also received Silver War Badge

Edited by jonbem

Medal Roll on ANCESTRY HERE

Silver badge roll HERE

15 Star roll HERE

Edited by jonbem
corrected links

Apologies my links are iffy

let me correct them

Enlisted 13/11/14, discharged 14/12/18

Says bullet wound left foot

previous thread on 250th Tunnelling C.

146336 Spr W H Benson is named in the Times Official Casualty List 15/07/1916 under RE wounded. He was probably wounded at the end of May or beginning of June. I have read the 1916 WDs of 250 TC at Kew but did not download them as other ranks are not named in WO 95/555/1 and 555/4 only contains Weekly Mining Reports. I have only found one other document relating to 250 TC which names other ranks (there may be more). It is addressed to the OC 250 TC from Major General F W Glubb, Chief Engineer Second Army and is dated 28/06/1916. It singles out men for meritorious conduct and good service in attempting to rescue buried colleagues. It can be seen in the Service Record of 65334 George Abraham Williams RE ((WIL 202875/575931) who is one of the men mentioned in the letter. I will have a further look at the names in the OCL to see if I can find any Service or Pension records of other men who were wounded serving with 250 TC. 

Brian

EDIT: Found three Service Records in the OCL but only one was a Tunneller. He was Frank Holdcroft of 171 TC and he was gassed on 17/06/1916. 

Edited by brianmorris547

• 1 year later...

Since my earlier post I have downloaded WO 95/551/1 and the WMRs WO 95/551/4. 250 TC was formed in October 1915. Other ranks are not named.

Brian

11 hours ago, Angela Wren said:

@kim LawtonSapper Bedson was my Great uncle

Kim has not visited the Forum for well over a year. Your tag might alert her but I would suggest sending her a PM (personal message). If she has registered her e-mail address with the GWF (as you should) then the Forum will alert her.

To send her a PM hover your cursor over her name in bold type and you will get a drop down opportunity to message her.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

12 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Kim has not visited the Forum for well over a year. Your tag might alert her but I would suggest sending her a PM (personal message). If she has registered her e-mail address with the GWF (as you should) then the Forum will alert her.

To send her a PM hover your cursor over her name in bold type and you will get a drop down opportunity to message her.

BillyH.

Thank you for that. Really recommend the new film to anyone interested in this area watched it last night. 

There is a description of the Petit Bois "incident" in this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Underground-Tunnellers-Great/dp/1862270813

When the rescuers broke through, Sapper Bedson reportedly said "That was a long shift".

Ron

2 hours ago, Angela Wren said:

I wish I had a photo of him

Give us as much background to him and his family as you can Angela....can't promise anything ...but you never know what might turn up.

Edit....is this him?

Snap 2021-09-12 at 11.17.08.png

From 1934

Snap 2021-09-12 at 13.18.46.png

Edited by sadbrewer