Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For info - Researching Aliases in the AIF – Informal guidance from the National Library of Australia

TullochArd

I recently approached the National Library of Australia regarding a possible 1915 UK/AIF alias.  My search proved negative but they provided me with some guidance that may be useful to someone in a similar situation.

Basically:  The AIF service records are held at the National Archives of Australia, and are all digitised and freely available to download. Nominal and embarkation rolls and other information held at the Australian War Memorial.

Specifically Aliases:  Many thousands of men enlisted using an alias for various reasons. An Australian military historian, Lt. Col. Neil Smith, published in 1995 a list of names that he had identified to date, titled What's in a name : aliases of the Australian Military Forces 1914-1919.

There is a list of over 1300 known  Australian aliases at the website of the AIF Project, run by the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. You can see the Aliases tables (one sorted alphabetically by alias, the other by true name) under the 'About' tab on the main page.

Lt. Col. Smith also wrote journal article "Aliases of the Australian Military Forces 1915-1919" (Sabretache Vol XXXVII Oct-Dec 1996 ) In it he suggests that a very common choice of alias was the man's mother's maiden name and also gives some further ideas on search strategies. 

My copy of his article is flagged copyright so I can't reproduce it here - send me an e-mail if you want it.

On 20/02/2020 at 02:22, TullochArd said:

Specifically Aliases:  Many thousands of men enlisted using an alias for various reasons. An Australian military historian, Lt. Col. Neil Smith, published in 1995 a list of names that he had identified to date, titled What's in a name : aliases of the Australian Military Forces 1914-1919.

I have a copy of Neil Smith's book / list (above) if anyone ever wants a 'look up'.  It does include aliases that aren't in the on-line AIF Project list.

I also have a list of 139 other aliases I've gathered over the years that aren't in Neil Smith's list, many of which (after a quick scan) also don't appear to be in the AIF Project list.

Feel free to ask...

Cheers, Frev

2 hours ago, frev said:

I have a copy of Neil Smith's book / list (above) if anyone ever wants a 'look up'.  It does include aliases that aren't in the on-line AIF Project list.

I also have a list of 139 other aliases I've gathered over the years that aren't in Neil Smith's list, many of which (after a quick scan) also don't appear to be in the AIF Project list.

Feel free to ask...

Cheers, Frev

Thanks Frev

You wouldn't have anything on Frederick Roscoe (or Roscow) HOLDEN b. 1887-ish in Cowpe (or Waterfoot or Rawtenstall or Rossendale or Lancashire) then?  Son of Jesse and Elizabeth Holden of Waterfoot, Rossendale, Lancashire and sibling of Mary Alice Holden (b.1883) and Israel Holden (b.1886 d.7 July 1916).

CLUE 1 - Family Headstone: "Also of Fred their son/ killed in Gallipoli 1915/ aged 28 years/ Also of Israel their son/ killed in France July 7th 1916/ aged 30 years"   

CLUE 2 - Rossendale Free Press 5 Aug 1916 "His (Israel Holden's) death recalls the fact that shortly before the outbreak of war his younger brother, Mr. Fred Holden, emigrated to Australia. Soon after the war began his sister, Miss Mary Alice Holden, of Springside, Cowpe, received a letter from him saying that he had joined the colours and that he was in Egypt. Since then nothing has been heard of him."

No CWGC/SDGW/MIC/Pension - suspect possible alias but total lack of evidence at this end.

Regards and thanks

Ian

5 hours ago, frev said:

Sorry Ian - I'm afraid no such luck.

Best of luck though - he may turn up one day!

Cheers, Frev

Many thanks for your input Frev.