Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Boubin

My great uncle Joe Has the following notes posted on Ancestry in a record entitled"Ohio Soldiers in WW1, 1917-1918."Co B 323 Machine Gun Battalion to 11 Oct 1917;158 Depot Brigade to Discharge Private Discharge 14 Feb 1918. Alien enemy"

I was wondering if there was a source somewhere that would tell me more about his service during WW1. The alien enemy designation may be because he had not yet become a US citizen. That happened in the 1920's.He emigrated to the US from Czechoslovakia, which was part of the Austro Hungarian Empire, with whom we were at war. 

George Novak

Hi George

Welcome to  the forum, have searched but can only find the same as you, perhaps one of the experts will pick up the thread. More info. online  re census, marriage and death etc.but not army service.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

George

I have found a little information which might help in a small way.

323rd MG Battalion was a part of 165th Infantry Brigade of 83rd Division. This Division formed at Camp Sherman, Ohio , in Sep 1917 and took drafted men from Ohio and West Virginia.

The Division arrived in France during June 1918 and became a Depot Division in the Le Mans area, from where some units, were removed and sent to the Front to assist other groups. The remainder stayed in the Depot area and were responsible for training and supplying up to 195,000 troops as replacements for forward combat Divisions. The Division returned to the US in Jan 1919.

I have collected this info from ORBATS for US Divisions of WW1. No way (yet) of knowing if 323rd MGB went off to the Front or stayed, one link stated which units went off (artillery etc) but didn't mention the MGs, which I would find a bit hard to believe !

Camp Sherman, home of 158 Depot Brigade, was one of 16 National Army cantonments set up to process draftees after the US entered the war in 1917.

(a)  Training Regulations for Depot Brigades - click on 230.pdf in link to view:

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll9/id/229

(b)  The Personnel Replacement System - Recruit Depots and Army Cantonments, starts page 176:

https://history.army.mil/html/books/104/104-9/CMH_Pub_104-9.pdf

Joseph/Joe Boubin did not go overseas with the AEF and remained with 158 Depot Brigade at Camp Sherman until discharged on 14 February 1918.

This courtesy of ancestry:

Boubin.jpg.618ab3c0ac2ef286135647650d0e96aa.jpg

Note

Adolph and Charles Boubal were born in Vienna.  

Charles went to 158 Depot Brigade in Sept 1917, went overseas in July 1918  and died of wounds in October 1918.

Adolph was drafted too late to go overseas and was given an Honorable Discharge in Feb 1919.

Adolph and Charles Boubal were Naturalised US Citizens - Joseph/Joe Boubin was not.

JP

Edited by helpjpl
typo