Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Nigerian Squadron' or Nigerian Flight'?

Errol Martyn

Has anyone come across this unit before?

It appears as a posting on a man's AIR76 and on his Officers' Particulars form (when joining 56 Squadron in Nov 1917).

The later states 'Nigerian Squadron 22/2/17 - 16/3/17 service pilot', whereas the AIR76 appears to show 'Flt' rather than Squadron.

TIA,

Errol

I haven't a clue where this came from (possibly Ray Sturtivant) but I have this in my Home Units file:

N FLIGHT RFC

Base

Formed at Papplewick Moor 6.3.1917 and intended for service in Nigeria with 2 Voisin. Disbanded 16.3.1917.

Commanding Officer

Many thanks Mick.

I see now that Ray has that 'N Flight' entry listed in on page 308 of the 2nd ed of his 'RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912', and that it was reformed in Sep 1918 for special duties, in France, and was disbanded Feb 1919.

Cheers,

Errol

On 18/02/2020 at 21:21, Errol Martyn said:

Many thanks Mick.

I see now that Ray has that 'N Flight' entry listed in on page 308 of the 2nd ed of his 'RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912', and that it was reformed in Sep 1918 for special duties, in France, and was disbanded Feb 1919.

Cheers,

Errol

Hi

The reformed 'N' Flight was one of the flights (L ,M, N, O, P) that were used for long range artillery spotting using two-way W/T fitted to Bristol Fighters.  They replaced the Bristol Fighters that had been included on the strength of various Corps squadrons (one or two BFs) at the beginning of 1918.  The concept had been tried out at the Battle of Messines in 1917 and found to be successful.  

I did note in the mentioned book, p.307, that 'K' Flight is mentioned on 'special duties', detached from No. 6 Sqn. and its fate 'unknown'.  No. 6 Sqn. had become a Cavalry Corps support squadron for Cambrai in November 1918, but did not undertake operations.  During the winter 1917/18 most of the squadron was used to help train members of the ground troops, staff and regimental officers, in what aircraft could and couldn't do for them.  However, 'K' Flt. remained with the Cavalry Corps as a fully mobile unit, it rejoined the rest of the squadron in July 1918 when the squadron became the Cavalry Support squadron again, so its 'fate' was rejoining the squadron.

As an aside, during WW2 No. 91 Sqn. was named 'Nigeria'..

Mike 

8 hours ago, alex revell said:

Hi Errol,

What was the chaps name?

Alex,

You will be familiar with the name; he's one of your 56 Squadron men, E. H. M. Fetch. I'll be forwarding to you a copy of my draft bio notes about him for your info in a day or two as they may contain some detail that is new to you.

Cheers,

Errol

Thanks Errol. I look forward to that. I shall add it to my rapidly expanded file of things to add to HITEB in the hope that I might publish another edition, following the footsteps of Trevor Henshaw. with his magnificent TSTB.II   Do you think it would sell?