Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

IBO

467th (1/3rd North Midland) Field Company

IBO

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any help of the members here.

I have been researching my relative Sapper Robert Bown of the 467th (1/3rd North Midland) Royal Engineers Field Coy who died of wounds (gas poisoning) on 3rd October 1917.

From the research I have done so far I believe he was attached to the 59th (2nd North Midland) Division and was part of the Third Battle of Ypres. My research suggests he was either involved during the Battle of Menin Road Ridge and / or the Battle of Passchendaele. As he died after a gas attack, I am guessing that this was most likely mustard gas which I think was used in the area around September 1917.

As a Sapper, I am thinking that he was most likely involved in trench digging / maintenance, building duck boarding etc.. I have read that it could take many days / weeks for people to succumb to the injuries sustained from mustard gas, although I also read this could be as quick as 10 days. So, as he died on 3rd October then he could have been in a gas attack on 20-23rd September.

He is buried at Mendinghem Cemetery near Poperinge.

I have read that a number of soldiers from the 59th North Midland Division died on and around the 25th-27th September 1917 and are buried at Bridge House Cemetery.

I think I am in the right area but finding any definitive information as to his whereabouts, or the whereabouts of the 467th RE Field Coy are difficult to come by.

Would really appreciate any help that the forum can provide.

Many thanks

Ian  

Terry_Reeves

Ian

The company war diary shows that 14 men were hospitalised "suffering from gas burns" on the 28th September and that one man died of wounds (gas) at 64 Casualty Clearing Station on 3rd of October. Between 1 October and 12 October, the company were on the march, so I suspect that the incident on the 28th September may be the one you are referring to.

It looks like they were engaged in repairing the Wieltje-Gravenstafel Rd South of Steenbeek.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

IBO

Hi Terry,

This is great information. As I am relatively new to searching a specific person can you provide any further information like:

• Where can I see the war diary?
  • Where was 64 CCS
  • Does it give the names of the 14 men

My relative was Sapper Bown 490028.

Thanks anyway, it's all good information as I piece together the info ready for my visit to the area in July 2020.

Ian

IBO

Have found that 64 C.C.S is Mendinghem Cemetery.  

Terry_Reeves
16 minutes ago, IBO said:

Hi Terry,

This is great information. As I am relatively new to searching a specific person can you provide any further information like:

• Where can I see the war diary?
  • Where was 64 CCS
  • Does it give the names of the 14 men

My relative was Sapper Bown 490028.

Thanks anyway, it's all good information as I piece together the info ready for my visit to the area in July 2020.

Ian

You can download it from the National Archives site. It is in two parts, £3.50 per download.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=467+field+company+AND+WO95

If you have ancestry you can get it as part of your subscription.

TR

IBO

Thank you Terry, have downloaded the documents.

Ian

clk

Hi Ian,

Findmypast has this record...

image.png.2b5d20b1959780aa130e98d7ff8e374c.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

47 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

The company war diary shows that 14 men were hospitalised "suffering from gas burns" on the 28th September and that one man died of wounds (gas) at 64 Casualty Clearing Station on 3rd of October. Between 1 October and 12 October, the company were on the march, so I suspect that the incident on the 28th September may be the one you are referring to.

The Commander Royal Engineers 59 Division diary 28.9.1917shows..

image.png.1aa82d33a0d62253135b76525c41194f.png

image.png.68062f041b17f1e97d447297d631743e.png

image.png.7520e4e7b94035e07f55ee2b719b3864.png

Images sourced from the National Archives

'C.28.b.8.8' (green dot) from a base map image dating from June 1917 from the National Library of Scotland (link) which allows a blending with a modern aerial view.

image.png.7869639bf9aea1d31414efee3ed439f2.png

Robert left what was accepted as being his will. It might only be a very few words though - (£1.50) link.

As a TF soldier he was renumbered to his 6 digit 490028 service number in 1917 - see here

Under the renumbering men within a unit were usually renumbered (allowing for 'fall outs') based sequentially on their previous (often four digit number). By way of near number referencing 490000 Land, 490037 Graham and 490067 Hughes appear to have joined up in November 1915 - albeit under their pre TF renumbering numbers. From that you might be able to draw an inference that Robert served in Ireland with 59 Division during 'the troubles', before being sent to what was then considered an 'active' theatre in France/Flanders.

Regards

Chris

IBO

WOW, Trevor and Chris, cannot thank you guys enough, this is a huge step forward and will make my trip in July all the more meaningful. And Chris, can't beleive that even back in 1917 they spelled our surname incorrectly......Good job we have his service number.

Many many thanks

Ian

IBO

One final question...how do I find out if he was awarded any medals for service?

clk

Hi Ian,

He qualified for the British War, and Victory medals (see here), but I didn't see any other awards - Military Medal, Distinguished Conduct Medal, etc.

image.png.8bfa268205af62a6887105cf2a1a8349.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

Regards

Chris