Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

megans grandad

53051 Corporal M Carroll

megans grandad

There are a considerable number of headstones in Kirk Patrick, near Peel IOM and may relate to the Home Guard at the nearby Knockaloe Internment Camp.

This is just but one. He died 25 October 1918 aged 25 a member of RAMC .

Can anyone throw any light on the background of this soldier or his compatriots?

IMG_4367.JPG

Coldstreamer
Coldstreamer

MIC courtesy FMP

carroll.jpg

little bob

Lives of the First World War.

Drowned at sea from R.M.S.Leinster, torpedoed and sunk by German Submarine UB-123 whilst bound Kingstown/Dublin - Holyhead.

Bob

megans grandad

Thanks. Ironically I came across this headstone whilst visiting IOM - Kirk Patrick recently. A fellow Pte Ezecial Thomas of 3rd RWF is commemorated in our churchyard here in N.Wales having drowned in the same incident.

charlie962

M Carroll was serving with the 25th Casualty Clearing Station (Salonica)  in July 1916 when he went sick (Hospital Admission Record admitted 28th GHosp, trfd to 20 StatHosp). 1yr 6mths total service at the time,  ie enlisted c Jan 1915. (I wonder what WarGratCalc gives ?)

CWGC notes he was awarded Obilitich Silver Medal (Serbia) - a bravery award as I understand it.

Noted in Edinburgh Gazette Supplement 19/2/17

and seems to come under this date:

2021979509_GWFCarrollMRAMCSerbianSilverMedal.JPG.76db00d69b321adc97d7d2984221ca34.JPG

ss002d6252
23 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

M Carroll was serving with the 25th Casualty Clearing Station (Salonica)  in July 1916 when he went sick (Hospital Admission Record admitted 28th GHosp, trfd to 20 StatHosp). 1yr 6mths total service at the time,  ie enlisted c Jan 1915. (I wonder what WarGratCalc gives ?)

CWGC notes he was awarded Obilitich Silver Medal (Serbia) - a bravery award as I understand it.

Noted in Edinburgh Gazette Supplement 19/2/17

and seems to come under this date:

2021979509_GWFCarrollMRAMCSerbianSilverMedal.JPG.76db00d69b321adc97d7d2984221ca34.JPG

Someone mention war gratuity :whistle:

image.png

https://www.wargratuity.uk/war-gratuity-calculator/

Craig

charlie962

Well done Craig . Your system proven once again!

Charlie