Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Pletts 10th Battalion D.L.I. Service no.21483

Can any one help me find which unit my great uncle  John Pletts was attached to after the10th Battalion D.L.I. was disbanded in February 1918. I

think he was in the 42nd trench mortar battery and may have gone to the 45th after he was transferred. He was listed as missing on the 21st of March , the first day of the German Spring offensive. His name is on the Arras Memorial.

Here is a list showing all the DLI 10th Battalion. I cannot find any evidence of him having transferred oranything about what happened to the 10th after their disbandment.

22.08.1914 Formed at Newcastle as part of the First New Army (K1) and then moved to Woking to join the 43rd Brigade of the 14th Division and then moved to Aldershot.
Nov 1914 Moved to Witley.
Feb 1915 Moved to Corunna Barracks, Aldershot.
21.05.1915 Mobilised for war and landed at Boulogne and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
The Battle of Loos
German gas attacks near Hulluch, The defence of the Kink position, The Battle of Pozieres, The Battle of Flers-Courcelette, The Battle of Le Transloy.
The First Battle of the Scarpe, The Second Battle of the Scarpe, The Battle of Pilckem, The Battle of Langemark.
12.02.1918 Disbanded in France.

Hang on, I think I have found something.....

Lance Corporal 21483 John Pletts, Durham Light Infantry, attached to Trench Mortar Battery (archive reference NLS 1918_WList47).

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am really a novice in matters military and it is a steep learning curve! I had seen the reference to the 43rd TMB ( I said 42nd but that was probably an error on my part) and also that he had been awarded a wound stripe but not the date ( thanks for that  James 123. I would be interested to know where you found that detail). I had no idea he had transferred or would that be attached ? to the 178th Brigade Royal Field Artillery and given another number. Would that mean he was still with the 10th Battalion or elsewhere with the  Field Brigade? I have read the war diaries of the 10th Battalion for the period he would have been with them  to get an idea of his movements but perhaps I should be looking for the diaries of the 178th Brigade? The Commonwealth War Graves entry only mentions  the 10th  Battalion DLI and that he was attached to the 45th TMB.