Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US SOLDIER'S SERVICE

Acknown

Alfred William Eldridge was born in Godshill, Hampshire in 1890, then lived in Fordingbridge. He travelled twice to the USA in the early 1900s and in 1913, it seems he stayed there for good. He moved to Toledo, Ohio and joined the US Army. His record of service is summarised in the official roster of Ohio soldiers, sailors and marines in the world war, 1917-18, available here:  https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015068482002&view=1up&seq=595. From this, I glean that:

• His number was: 1182187.
  • Regular Army (RA).
  • Was at Columbus Barracks Ohio from 13 Dec 17 (enlistment date?).
  • Aviation Section Signal Corps (Avia Sec Sig C) until he was discharged.
  • Made corporal 12 Feb 18.
  • Honourably discharged 22 Mar 19.
  • It seems that he spent his whole service in Ohio and did not serve overseas.

I would be most grateful if anyone who knows can add to this outline or advise otherwise. Here are some specific questions:

• Am I right?
  • Did he receive any medals?
  • What duties was he likely to have undertaken?
  • As the barracks appears to have been a recruiting and training centre, would Alfred have stayed there, or is there another assignment, not listed?

I understand from the U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards 1942 that he was considered for WW2 call-up but was not actually enlisted.

Many thanks,

Acknown

The fact that he was in the army during hostilities meant he was eligible for a Victory Medal.

Had it been the case that he had served overseas, I would have imagined his name would have appeared on a transportation list. The other thing I have looked out for, for American soldiers, is if he qualified for a veteran's grave, and whether he was interred thus.

Many thanks, Keith. Good ideas. He died on 26 Nov 62 at the age of 71. There some other personal documents, but I'll have to visit the library to get at overseas Ancestry as I only have UK access at home.

Acknown

There's the following datasets that Ancestry have that have featured for some of the men that I have researched in the past:

U.S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1963

U.S. National Cemetery Interment Control Forms, 1928-1962

U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010

Keith - Again many thanks. Very useful.

Acknown

Not that I know of. He was in the US during the 1911 Census and in 1901, he was still at school. 

Acknown