Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No soldier details help please

Mystery Driscoll

Hello Everyone. I have 3 photos of my Grandmothers brother, 2 in uniform but I have no idea where he served so wondered if any of you kind people can advise please? His name was Michael Lynch born 13th December 1892 at Sullivans Quay, Cork City. He died in 1965. He was the son of Michael Lynch, who was born c1870 and died in 1915 aged 43 years. The first photo was taken in 1916 and the second one in around 1932 but I don't know when the third one was taken. Unfortunately the photos are poor quality, so apologies for this. Any help or advice would be appreciated please as I'm beginning to wonder if the first photo is actually the Michael Lynch bc1870.

Thank you

Michael Lynch.JPG

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The cap badge is of a fusilier Regiment. Unfortunately, I can't make out which one.

Michelle 

Do you know the name of any of Michael's brothers; presumably you know your grandfather's? Any other personal details of him or the family. All may be useful in tracking down the soldier. 

Edited by Mark1959

The third photo shows him wearing his medal ribbons.

The experts on here can tell you the dates when the ribbons were issued, (I think before the actual medals were issued).

I'm no expert but they look like the ribbons of the 1914 or 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory Medals. If that is so, Ancestry has a number of potential Fusilier candidates from the medal rolls, and it's highly likely I've missed many more; anyway, by weeding out those who died or were discharged during the war (and I realise that is a bit arbitrary) here are a few possibles to start the ball rolling:

6070 Pte M. Lynch, Royal Munster Fusiliers

4473 Pte M. Lynch RMF/ Royal Dublin Fusiliers (an Old Contemptible, and thus probably a pre-War Regular)

4308 Pte M. Lynch RMF (discharged 1919)

16268 Pte M. Lynch 4th Royal Fusiliers

10988 Pte M. Lynch 1st Royal Welch Fusiliers (an Old Contemptible; taken POW)

I'm aware that those entitled to the 1914 Star wore a silver rosette on their medal ribbon to distinguish it from the 1914-15 Star (if they had been under fire before 22 Nov 1914), and the final picture shows no such rosette. However, I don't know how universally this was observed, nor when the rosettes (and accompanying clasps) began to be issued. Pte Lynch RWF didn't get his until 1933 according to the medal rolls, so this might not be a filter here.

Good luck! Pat.

Thank you very much everyone for your help. It’s much appreciated as I don’t understand the military. 
I guess I would be able to get his records from somewhere. 
Sue

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

Do you know the name of any of Michael's brothers; presumably you know your grandfather's? Any other personal details of him or the family. All may be useful in tracking down the soldier. 

Mark, his brothers were John Lynch b1890, Thomas Lynch b1898, David Lynch b1900 and Jeremiah Lynch b1903

1 hour ago, Mystery Driscoll said:

I guess I would be able to get his records from somewhere

75-80% of the Great War Service Records were destroyed in the blitz in 1940 so on balance, the odds are stacked against you.

The important first step is to get as much biographical data together so that when a record is found, we can say for certain if it is him or not.

Is there any possibility that he continued in the British Army after 1921?

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

75-80% of the Great War Service Records were destroyed in the blitz in 1940 so on balance, the odds are stacked against you.

The important first step is to get as much biographical data together so that when a record is found, we can say for certain if it is him or not.

Is there any possibility that he continued in the British Army after 1921?

Thank you. I’m not sure if he did but as I don’t know the date on the newest photo, I’ll have to ask the family. That’s a shame about the records. Thanks 

Sue

15 minutes ago, chaz said:

if you can tie down to the regiment then a regimental museumm may be able to help with enlistment records.

Thank you I’ll see what I can find out 

Sue

29 Corporation Buildings is the address on a Pension card for Michael Lynch discharged 1/3/19 due to a GSW left foot. Year of birth given as 1893. Machine Gun Corps 19422. He was previously 6889 Royal Munster Fusilers.

Medical Record indicates wounded in last week of war. Admitted 2nd General Hospital Le Havre on 5/11/18. This records he had served for 8 years and had been overseas since 1914. Says 3 co. Possibly 3 Company MGC which by then was 3 Battalion.

The medal card says identical with D Lynch 6289 and also has a AOC number S/10511. More here than meets the eye. His BW and VM are under S/10511. Very strange.

in theatre from 7/10/14.

2 cards. Here and Here. So is this Michael or David?

6289.1914 medal roll for D Lynch says real initial M. Transferred to MGC 22/1/16 And the slightly different date of 9/10/14 for move to France.

Edited by Mark1959

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

29 Corporation Buildings is the address on a Pension card for Michael Lynch discharged 1/3/19 due to a GSW left foot. Year of birth given as 1893. Machine Gun Corps 19422. He was previously 6889 Royal Munster Fusilers.

Medical Record indicates wounded in last week of war. Admitted 2nd General Hospital Le Havre on 5/11/18. This records he had served for 8 years and had been overseas since 1914. Says 3 co. Possibly 3 Company MGC which by then was 3 Battalion.

The medal card says identical with D Lynch 6289 and also has a AOC number S/10511. More here than meets the eye. His BW and VM are under S/10511. Very strange.

in theatre from 7/10/14.

2 cards. Here and Here. So is this Michael or David?

6289.1914 medal roll for D Lynch says real initial M. Transferred to MGC 22/1/16 And the slightly different date of 9/10/14 for move to France.

Thank you for this. Sounds like a bit of a mystery but I think it has to be Michael because of the address being 29 Corporation Buildings as this is where the family lived from 1902. I wonder what GSW stands for. It couldn’t have been David as he wasn’t born until 1900 so at 14 years old he wouldn’t be in the army. 
I need to ask the rest of the family in case they know anything else that may help.

Sue

GSW means Gunshot wound. But this could mean bullet or shrapnel wound. Agree it seems to be Michael. But quite a riddle.

Edited by Mark1959

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2020 at 13:13, Mystery Driscoll said:

Hello Everyone. I have 3 photos of my Grandmothers brother, 2 in uniform but I have no idea where he served so wondered if any of you kind people can advise please? His name was Michael Lynch born 13th December 1892 at Sullivans Quay, Cork City. He died in 1965. He was the son of Michael Lynch, who was born c1870 and died in 1915 aged 43 years. The first photo was taken in 1916 and the second one in around 1932 but I don't know when the third one was taken. Unfortunately the photos are poor quality, so apologies for this. Any help or advice would be appreciated please as I'm beginning to wonder if the first photo is actually the Michael Lynch bc1870.

Thank you

Michael Lynch.JPG

20190219_113902.jpg