Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for reading material on fast attack craft

Sawpatin

Can anyone recommend some reading material which focuses on fast attack craft, of any nation, during WW1 and/or the Russian Civil War? E.g. the British Coastal Motor Boats, Italian MAS, or any other equivalents that I might be unaware of? Something that really gets down to detail on how these types of boats operated and what service aboard was like during the period would be great.

Edited by Sawpatin

An older book by Wilfrid Granville and Robin A Kelly is 'Inshore Heroes'. It was published in 1961 and covers both wars. They are about 60 pages devoted to Royal Navy ML's in the First World War.

I suspect there are newer and better books around now but I found it an interesting read..

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

"Operation Kronstadt" by Harry Ferguson deals with RN operations in the Baltic during the Russian Civil War, which of course includes the Coastal Motor Boats.. For a firsthand account there is Augustus Agar VC's "Baltic Episode".

If you are looking for primary source material on the use of the Elco motor boats in relation to the Auxiliary Patrol, I have a few sources

Edited by Hyacinth1326

2 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

If you are looking for primary source material on the use of the Elco motor boats in relation to the Auxiliary Patrol, I have a few sources

Absolutely, any sources you'd have to share would be appreciated.

Go to Duxford and see Agars CMB

Edited by MartH
Typo

In the Caird Library within the Greenwich Maritime Museum you will find the 'Red Book' of the Auxiliary Patrol.  The volume lists the often complex organisation of the AP around the British coast, it names the units and describes the allotted craft.  My interest is the East Coast convoys operating from the Humber to the Forth.  The Elco boats formed an important part of the convoy operation.  The units are named and numbered.

Also within the Caird Library you will find what is as far as I am aware, the only complete set of the Admiralty Technical History series. You can  find incomplete sets at Kew (ADM 275/19 and ADM 275/20).  There is a partial set the RN Library at Portsmouth.  Parts 2 and 8 of the Caird set provide a wealth of information on the Elco boats and their use in convoy but in truth the Technical History series is packed with information. Part 6 deals with coastal motor boat bases.

The Motor Boat Reserve crewing and training information can be found in ADM 1/8396/349.  

Edited by Hyacinth1326