Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fusilier from 1917? Help needed on Uniform

TonyH

Hi there, I'm helping a friend track her Great Uncle Marius Walker's participation in World War I - and she has given me this photo of him in Uniform.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me on this - I'm assuming he is a Fusilier from the cap badge, and perhaps RF on the shoulder patch?

It also looks like 4 years on the overseas service chevrons, but would that have been possible in 1917? Perhaps this photo is later than 1917?

Also he seems to have a Marksman badge on his left sleeve. The question is whether it's possible to identify which specific regiment he was from, and also his rank - is that Lieutenant?

Any help gratefully received!

All the best

Tony

Marius 1917.jpeg

6 minutes ago, TonyH said:

and also his rank - is that Lieutenant?

Not in this image, no.

He has no rank chevrons , making him a Private.

Here are the badges that he was wearing. He appears to have overseas service 1915-16-17-18.

C931552C-D5C2-4A0D-AC90-A2B33FA92F66.jpeg

92BB2B38-D288-42EC-8552-A5318FDA456C.jpeg

ED1461AF-05D5-4F13-B11A-1922237EB4DB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you Frogsmile, that is very useful! - It means it has to be a photo from 1918 or later, rather than 1917 (was the 1914 OS chevron red in any case?)... Even my creaky maths was wondering how he could have got 4 years OS by 1917...

I surmise that this is an end of hostilities picture his grateful mother has her hand on his in a sign of gratitude and relief. I also reflect that this is a young Infantryman who served overseas for 4 years and came through physical unscathed.

7 hours ago, TonyH said:

Thank you Frogsmile, that is very useful! - It means it has to be a photo from 1918 or later, rather than 1917 (was the 1914 OS chevron red in any case?)... Even my creaky maths was wondering how he could have got 4 years OS by 1917...

Yes, the 1914 chevron was red.

I agree with Mark that the image has all the hallmarks of what I call a ‘survivor’s photograph’, i.e. one that projects a palpable sense of gratitude to have made it through unscathed (literally in this case as there are no wound stripes).  Some men were just lucky! 

3B4CF334-891D-4375-B043-4D58E09E3890.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Interesting he's positioned his left arm and cap so the Marksman's badge (I assume) can be seen, but we can't see if he has a Good Conduct badge, which might be expected. I wonder if he'd been a naughty boy at some point!

16 hours ago, TonyH said:

Overseas chevrons instituted December 1917, so always a good indicator of 'not before' in a photo.

His minimum service would have been 36 months and a day - you were entitled to your first chevron on your first day in theatre, then another every aggregate 12 months after that.

Eligibility continued to May 1920, to encompass those on convoys and in North Russia.

Assuming he didn't serve much past the spring of 1919, he would have qualified for the 1914-1915 Star - and the lack of ribbon for which would make this photo prior to December 1918.

Cheers,

GT.

Thank you all for the assessment - it is truly incredible what you all are able to winkle out from this photo. Now, I may go through my grandfathers photos from King Edwards Horse and post them up, as I'm getting the feeling that there is a lot more buried in those photos than I realise. Thank you all once again!

T