Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V.T.C. Drill Rifle 2

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from the Royal Forest of Sherwood.

In view of the interest shown in my last V.T.C. Drill Rifle here are some illustrations of my other example, yes I have been lucky enough to find two.

This one is slightly cruder than the last but never the less interesting.  Once again the barrel is solid bar steel but one of its retaining bolts has a round

nut on the top to represent a rear sight.  Also, it has a solid immovable bolt.  The magazine is a solid casting held in place by two screws underneath.

The trigger guard as can be seen is bent round and becomes the trigger.  The butt plate is a solid casting and is quite heavy.  The stock is made of pine

and not very good quality.  Heavy use has caused it to crack along the grain of the shoulder stock.  There is a makers mark but unfortunately it is no

longer legible.  The weight of the weapon is the same as the rifle it is supposed to represent.  I think that it is an interesting piece from the early days

of the Volunteer Training Corps.

Old Robin Hood.

DSC01840.JPG.bc978784e3d938f60674ea166dca8d06.JPGDSC01841.JPG.9eb3f4c0c3228b2176f5dc56737c016c.JPGDSC01842.JPG.f334b5290508be59d87408111aa32eba.JPGDSC01843.JPG.563dd36e52dc9eec8b8b718b770089c3.JPGDSC01844.JPG.139e2e2151dcb7a0916ebcaa278adaf2.JPG

Nice one, different again.......They're certainly interesting in their own right.

I have two, one Great War issue and the second reminiscent of WW2 production and has a N factory code......Not much information available unfortunately.

Robert

DP Rifles 4.JPG

Greetings from Sherwood Forest.

Hi Robert

Two very nice Drill Rifles . As you say there seems very little information available on there "weapons "  I have always liked them as

interesting curios that were of great use in early WW1 and WW2 training . I do have a couple of other like items which I will post

pictures of when time allows.

Robin

Please do, I'd be interested.

Robert