Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory at Gallipoli 1915

michaeldr

Thanks for that Steve.

Obviously your copy of the book has still not arrived, otherwise you would see where I am coming at from the miss naming of the 3rd Battalion officer. When I read the entry by Klaus Wolf, ‘The defence planning for the entire Ari Burns section was described by the commander of the 3rd Battalion, Major HALIL Bey’ I thought that something was wrong.

Having only the night before been going through the writings of Major Halis from the Macquarie University collection of Turkish works where there was no mention of the direct quote as written in ‘Victory at Gallipoli’, but similarity to what was printed, I was a little confused as to who Major Halil was.

I could only find one officer named Halil in the 27th Regiment on the 25th April, and that being Lieutenant Halil, one of the two officers of the 27th Regiment machine gun section, who Lt Col Sefik placed on the south side of Scrubby Knoll with his two machine guns at around 8.30 am. So it could not have been him as the commander of the 3rd Battalion.

The only other officer associated with the 27th Regiment was Lt Colonel Halil, CO 9th Division, obviously not him.

The actual quote of Major Halis being used as evidence to the four guns of the 27th Regiment being positioned at Ari Burne on the morning of the 25th April does not conform to the previous description of the 27th Regiment deployment that morning given by Klaus Wolf, nor the evidence of all Turkish archival documentation. So it therefore had to be a description of the 3rd Battalion’s deployment from the 23rd April up until its departure on the night of the 24th.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this book once it has finally arrived.

Jeff

Jeff,

Mate I found someone had placed some of the book on the net?

There are not many pages but a start to check out

I think if I am reading it right about 73 pages at the start of the Book and a number at the back.

It has given me some German names to check out from 1914-16

I am still checking the site so I am not sure whats there.

I am sorry but the only way I found to get to the site is entering this mans name?

Kretzschmer Hans Wilhelm Major Saxon Army

I am sure there 's a better way but I am not that good on these things

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

If you put in a Google search using ‘Victory at Gallipoli 1915’, the page should open with the Google book review. For the time being ignore the review and move down to the next section of the description of the book and click on the blue ‘Google books’.

This should open with Victory at Gallipoli 1915, and a complete list of all the books chapters. From that list the first nine chapters are able to be read, and for the landing at ANZAC chapter 8.

Hope this will work for you, and if you are able to access later chapters from the source you have mentioned, you should have almost all of the book.

Jeff