Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

All Quiet on the Western Front

paulgranger

Something else to have a conversation about, a new version to be filmed, starring, being directed by, and being produced by no-one I've heard of. It'll be fantastic/not bad/rubbish.

who's the no-one?? British, American, German??? 

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Never seen "Vikings

I can assure you that you haven't missed much, although, the beards and hair cuts are impressive.

8 hours ago, paulgranger said:

It'll be fantastic/not bad/rubbish.

If it stars Travis Fimmel then expect the latter

Roger Donaldson directed the very good (if rather long) dramatization of the Cuban Missile Crisis: '13 Days'. I think he's seen as a solid rather than inspired director of films. No need for a new version of 'All Quiet...' in my view, though.

Edited by Mark Hone

I recall a version of All Quiet on the Western Front starring John Boy Walton and Ernest Borgnine back in the 80s

Wikipedia reckons the Donaldson-directed remake was announced as long ago as 2016. 

Edited by Mark Hone

On 15/02/2020 at 13:31, Hyacinth1326 said:

I recall a version of All Quiet on the Western Front starring John Boy Walton and Ernest Borgnine back in the 80s

That one always catches me out.  I sit back expecting Lew Ayres, and Richard Thomas hoves into view.  I still watch it, though Ernest Borgnine stretches credulity as an infantryman. I expect this new one will have Judi Dench playing the Kaiser.

Edited by Gunner Hall
Should read Moonrakers comments properly.

5 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

"Should read Moonrakers comments properly."

There are times when I should make comments properly.

37 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I expect this new one will have Judi Dench playing the Kaiser.

In that case I expect the farmer at Serre will be first in the queue at the cinema.

6 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

That one always catches me out.  I sit back expecting Lew Ayres, and Richard Thomas hoves into view.  I still watch it, though Ernest Borgnine stretches credulity as an infantryman. I expect this new one will have Judi Dench playing the Kaiser.

More likely Idris Elba or Christopher Biggins.

Oddly enough I recall a DVD I bought back in the mid 1990s from the Imperial War Museum Shop.  I can't for the life of me remember its title but it it was a British production featured a well known Sandhurst lecturer as Consultant. I recall my colleague who worked in local TV being very impressed by the apparent production values of the documentary.  The producers of the DVD had bought up out takes from the 1980's version of 'All Quiet on the Western Front' and re-edited the narrative.  

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Edward Berger to direct

Berger said: “It is a physical, visceral and very modern film that has never been told from my country’s perspective, it has never been made into a German-language film. We now have the chance to make an anti-war film that will truly touch our audience.”

Moonraker

16 hours ago, Moonraker said:

Edward Berger to direct

Berger said: “It is a physical, visceral and very modern film that has never been told from my country’s perspective, it has never been made into a German-language film. We now have the chance to make an anti-war film that will truly touch our audience.”

Moonraker

I despair.  It will probably be expressed through the medium of dance.

At least it's going to be made in German, unlike that leading contender for the worst Great War feature film ever: 'The Red Baron', a German film made in English.

Edited by Mark Hone