Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Greek Interpreter?

Dominion

I've just come into ownership of what I believe to be an medal for a Greek interpreter. It is a War Medal with the inscription: 48 INTPR.A.LADAS.

I honestly don't even know where to begin with this. I've had a look through the forum and couldn't find much else about interpreters. A search online didn't come up with much either. I am presuming the recipient to be Greek as the name Ladas is an occupational seller of olive oil in Greek. 

If anyone could point in the direction of more information it'd be very much appreciated!

Is A. Ladas the chaps name? I think Ladas is a Greek name, historically linked to olive oil sellers...

Bernard

He should be on a medal roll, most likely WO 329/2346, which would cover British Salonika Force. 
Images 34 to 61 inclusive (of 368) of this medal roll (via Ancestry) list various names, 
Cadozzo, L being the first. It may mention to and from dates on the roll for this locally employed interpreter.

• Admin

@ForeignGong Please acknowledge source of image as per copyright guidelines. Image removed pending this. 

Thanks for the information everyone! Would it be possible, and if so where would you be able to find which unit this individual served with?

15 hours ago, Dominion said:

Thanks for the information everyone! Would it be possible, and if so where would you be able to find which unit this individual served with?

Sherlock Holmes might know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_of_the_Greek_Interpreter

Cheers Martin B