Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Serjeant Fred Cotton 38611 KOYLI

Needle n fred

Good afternoon all!

i have been trying for some time to find out more information on how my Gt Grandfather Fred (not Frederick) Cotton who was born in Little Heck near Pontefract in 1897. We have his MM Medal Card and his normal medal card but he never told anyone what his MM was for.  We found the reference to it in the London Gazette dated June 1919 but the records seem to have been lost in WW2 fires.

We have his medals in the family and have a photograph of him in hospital blues with his MM ribbon on. His medal card implies he was promoted to Serjeant and got the MM at the same time but the image disproves this. 
Any help on this is appreciated.

kind regards,

N&FA5C33ED8-1535-4993-886A-31F017E86A70.jpeg.7bb34a1e1b33e531db5154afd995b3b7.jpeg

E98F0C83-D229-4C20-BA36-68F874CED116.jpeg

He was listed as wounded 06/11/1918

as a sergeant, next of kin listed as Whiteley Bridge and like you said awarded MM London Gazette 13/06/1919. Someone more knowledgeable than myself will come along soon. 

Served 5th Yorks L I

1/4 Yorks L I

Wounded 2nd Yorks L I

Looking at the date of his wounding and MM gazette date, I would guess that his MM was awarded for something that happened when he sustained them. I would defo look at the war diary for that period incase he is mentioned? 

Edited by James123
  • 1 year later...
Needle n fred

James123, thanks. Can I ask where you got this information about his wounding? I agree that it was likely he got his MM and wounded at the same time. Do you know how long it usually took for the wounding to be reported? It would help at least pin down where he was when wounded and awarded the MM. Thanks for your help 😊

Hi Needle n Fred,

The casualty list can be seen here - link. His actual date of wounding would have been several weeks prior. You might be able to get an approximate date for it by looking for surviving service papers for men from his regiment that appear on the same list, then  hopefully make a reasonable inference., and then cross reference back to the Battalion war diary to see if anything obvious jumps out.

Regards

Chris

charlie962

In that  photo in Hospital uniform, he only has one stripe but he is wearing MM ribbon. Yet his MM was awarded as a Sergeant  or at least that's what the MM card says. What does this tell us ?

Ivor Anderson

Same soldier as on this thread - with further research done: 

Edited by Ivor Anderson
charlie962
55 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Same soldier as on this thread - with further research done: 

thanks! (I'd forgotton I'd even contributed to that old thread.

Edited by charlie962
Ivor Anderson

:D It's like deja vu all over again! It took me a while to cotton on.

Edited by Ivor Anderson