Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of West Riding 246 C RFA

Edward T

Is there any chance that anybody has photographs of the 246th C West Riding RFA? My Grandfather, Fred Thornton (63705), was a Driver and saw action in France and Belgium. We are hoping that somebody may have photos in the slim chance my Grandfather may be on one as we have no photos of him in his military uniform. Thanks for your help, Edward

hello,

one of the best ways to get a photo is to look in local newspapers of the time - if you know of any significant dates, ie when he was wounded, then concentrate around these dates

some are on line but the local library and other local resources generally have more than websites

if that fails, and its a long shot but also check newspapers where his parents lived if different

Thanks Coldstream, he joined in Heckmondwike and we have looked at the local papers to no avail. They are all kept in the West Yorkshire archives in Huddersfield Library. My father spent some time going through the archives and there is nothing apart from a distant shot discussing local troops mobilising for War.  My Grandad and his brother both survived and we can’t even find anything welcoming the war hero’s back home?!

Thanks

Edward

Hi MaxD, brilliant thanks for that I haven’t seen that thread. It’s definitely worth a try visiting Bradford Library but unless I’m wrong (and I usually am!) not all the 2nd West riding were based in Bradford, unless that was a regional HQ? My Grandad joined up in Heckmondwike which I assume would have been 2nd 6th West Riding RFA at the start of the war?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated 

Edward

Post 1907 Bradford was the HQ of II West Riding RFA with batteries at Bradford, Halifax and Heckmondwike so I assume the Bradford holdings refer to all three batteries. (The "6th" is I believe a hangover from an earlier titling)

Max

Wasn’t aware of that, thanks for the info. Bradford Library is definitely somewhere worth visiting then!

Thanks again

Edward