Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian medal for rescue

Ksimmo

Hi I’ve recently found out my

great grandfather received a medal for beaver in Belgium the Belgian medal for rescuing three people from a farm house under heavy fire does anyone have information on how I can find out what the medal was ? I can’t find any information on line  

• Admin

Welcome to the forum

The medal may have been the Belgian Croix de Guerre

We're good but not psychic, a name at least would help and any other information you may have

Ken

Hi

The only Thomas Hannon I can find was awarded a DCM and 

a Belgium Croix de Guerre. The London Gazette for the Belgium https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31372/page/6941 and it is for 1919.

I know of an Aussie officer who was awarded a Belgium medal for rescuing civilians from a bombed house and his award was not Gazetted but I found reference to it in the Unit War Diary and it was mentioned in his service papers. Maybe your relative was the same, as it was not fighting the enemy but saving lives.

Needs a lot of research to confirm.

I did find a Thomas Hannon in Royal Dublin Fus care of free Ancestry, but not the one with the Belgium medal

Hannon.JPG

Try here:

https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/services/Protocol/nobility_and_honorary_distinctions/national_orders/database_national_orders

Database of the National Orders

The database consists of around two million data sheets of all Belgians and foreign nationals to whom a distinction in a National Order has been awarded.
The data has been stored in a database since 1990.

Before submitting a proposal for an award, the competent administration or ministry consults the national database of the National Orders, which is managed by the Nobility and Honorary Distinctions Department of the Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation, in order to determine whether and which distinction(s) the person in question already has been awarded.

The contact persons for the National database are:

Rita Vander Zwalmen: tel: 02.501 36 60
e-mail: rita.vanderzwalmen@diplobel.fed.be

Muriel Dubois: tel: 02.501 45 68
e-mail: muriel.dubois@diplobel.fed.be

Please send your enqueries by e-mail to these two contact persons, stating the surname, first name, date and place of birth and, if applicable, the national registration number.