Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Middlesex Regiment

mickey selcon

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am researching  a man who served with the above battalion. His medal cards identify that he served with them between 01/09/1915 to 08/05/1916 but I am a little confused about his first overseas deployment.

The medal cards show that he first deployed overseas on the 1st of September 1915, the theatre of War he entered being Egypt, (the rolls show other men of the 7th Battalion also going to Egypt at this time), however, I could no trace of the 7th ever going to Egypt, in fact at the time my man deployed in September 1915, the 7th were in France. 

Could this be a clerical error or have I missed something glaringly obvious?

best regards

Mike

Could you say who he was number/name?  2/7th went to Egypt Aug 1915 and then France May 1916.

Max

Edited by MaxD
Add 2/7th

I believe you're looking at a soldier serving with the 2/7th Battalion Middlesex Regiment which went to Egypt in August 1915.

Steve

E J King's History of the 7th Middlesex has something about the 2/7th; he states that the battalion was disbanded at Rouen on 13th June, 1916, '... many of its officers and men were sent to their parent battalion, the remainder going to a variety of different units'. Officers transferring to the 1/7th are listed but not o.r.s, and obviously a mere Private is not mentioned.

Is he the same man as

39380 Sergeant 9th London Regiment?

George

From Long Long Trail (my bold)........

2/7th Battalion
Formed at Hornsey in September 1914 as a second line unit. Moved to Barnet and then Egham, where attached to 2/Middlesex Brigade (201st), 2/Home Counties Division (67th). Left the Division in February 1915 and moved to Gibraltar.
August 1915: moved to Egypt. Formed part of the Western Frontier Force.
May 1916 : moved to France, arriving Marseilles on 15 May 1916. Whole Bn went into quarantine camp for Typhus.
Disbanded in France on 10 June 1916, whereupon the 3/7th Bn in England (see below) was retitled the 2/7th.

Steve

Hi All

Thank you so much for this. I think it has been a case of me not being able to see what was staring me in the face and needing it pointing out!! With the info about 2/7 Middlesex it has all become clear! Arthur went to become Sergeant 393804 in 9th London Regiment and was KIA on 24/08/18. Checking 9th London's War Diary I found a draft of 78 OR replacements arriving at the battalion on 23/05/16 and checking the BWM and VM Roll, 70 men from 7th and 8th Middlesex, (including Arthur) were transferred to 9th Londons on 15/05/16. So it would seem likely that Arthur was one of this group and he was moved to the new Battalion with his mates after coming out of quarantine.

Once again thank you for all your help 

Mike