Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
rolt968

Territorial Force War Medal: Underage soldier(s)?

Recommended Posts

rolt968

Some years ago I came across a photo of a very young TF artilleryman wearing an Imperial Service Brooch. I think I found the correct Medal Index Card and he was not awarded either of the "Stars". I suspect that his correct age was probably known.

 

If he had fulfilled the other requirements for the TF War Medal but was not old enough to serve overseas, would he still have been eligible for the medal? (He wasn't awarded one.)

 

RM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
9 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Some years ago I came across a photo of a very young TF artilleryman wearing an Imperial Service Brooch. I think I found the correct Medal Index Card and he was not awarded either of the "Stars". I suspect that his correct age was probably known.

 

If he had fulfilled the other requirements for the TF War Medal but was not old enough to serve overseas, would he still have been eligible for the medal? (He wasn't awarded one.)

 

RM

Are you saying he definitely did serve in a Theatre of War before 1916?

If he did, his age would not disbar him from earning a star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolt968
13 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Are you saying he definitely did serve in a Theatre of War before 1916?

If he did, his age would not disbar him from earning a star.

No, he didn't serve before 1916.

 

The photo, if I remember it rightly shows him wearing  an Imperial Service Brooch. he actually looked very underage. 

 

If although he had signed the Imperial Service Obligation, he was not sent abroad until 1916 (at least)  as he was known or discovered to be underage, would he still be eligible for the TF War Medal?

 

RM

 

 

Edited by rolt968

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
7 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

No, he didn't serve before 1916.

 

The photo, if I remember it rightly shows him wearing  an Imperial Service Brooch. he actually looked very underage. 

 

If although he had signed the Imperial Service Obligation, he was not sent abroad until 1916 (at least)  as he was known or discovered to be underage, would he still be eligible for the TF War Medal?

 

RM

 

 

He would not necessarily have been under age - a boy could join from 14 and the joining age for a man was from 17 in the TF. As far as I'm aware there was no age restriction on signing the ISO, the age limit was put in place separately as army policy.


Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Sorry, misinterpreted 'the medal' (TF  War Medal)  as a Star.

 

From The Long Long Trail:

 

The Territorial Force War Medal, 1914-1920

This is the least commonly issued campaign medal. It was instituted in 1920 and only applicable to men or women who had served in a unit of the Territorial Force. To qualify, the soldier must have completed four years or more service prior to 4 August 1914, and if not still serving must have rejoined by 30 September 1914; they must have agreed to serve overseas by the same date; they must have served overseas at some point up to and including 11 November 1918; and they must not have otherwise qualified for a 1914 or 1914-15 Star.

Only 33,944 of this medal was issued, to members of the TF and the TF Nursing Service.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolt968
9 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

He would not necessarily have been under age - a boy could join from 14 and the joining age for a man was from 17 in the TF. As far as I'm aware there was no age restriction on signing the ISO, the age limit was put in place separately as army policy.


Craig

Thanks Craig

 

I would interpret that as meaning that he was eligible, but there may have been a different policy in practice - or no-one thought about it at the time.

RM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
1 minute ago, rolt968 said:

Thanks Craig

 

I would interpret that as meaning that he was eligible, but there may have been a different policy in practice - or no-one thought about it at the time.

RM

Competing bits of army legislation - a bit like not being able to serve in peacetime India overseas until 19 (without dispensation) but being able to sent to front in war from 18

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alan24
1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The Territorial Force War Medal, 1914-1920

 must have completed four years or more service prior to 4 August 1914,

 

If he was "very Young" and the photo referred to was a wartime photo, would it not be likely that he failed the TFWM on count of not having had 4 years service prior to Aug 1914?

Note, I've also seen this 'four years' requirement written as 'having attended 4 Summer camps' somewhere. 

 

Alan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolt968
4 hours ago, Alan24 said:

 

If he was "very Young" and the photo referred to was a wartime photo, would it not be likely that he failed the TFWM on count of not having had 4 years service prior to Aug 1914?

Note, I've also seen this 'four years' requirement written as 'having attended 4 Summer camps' somewhere. 

 

Alan.

I had wondered about that. I had always assumed that it was a wartime photo - but I don't remember anything which would date it.

RM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...