Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"German M73" Sabre, and Unit Marking Help - 1.A.F.II.l.H.1.

Banzai

Hello,

I purchased this sabre at an auction without the time to properly inspect it, as things were going fast and it was admittedly an impulse buy - that being said I am happy with it :)

At first glance, it appears to be a Prussian Issued M73, however when you dive deeper you start to notice some oddities.

It has a slightly different handguard profile, the grip is wood bound in wire/string and leather wrapped, normally Prussian M73's have bakelite or wood for Ersatz models.

It also has a cuttout for a tassle, which regular M73's do not.

It has a different grip retention screw, flat and rounded as opposed to the typical screw with double holes (for armourers tool) as we typically see.

It is marked W over 06, for 1906. The maker is Weyersburg, marked under the langet.

I have done some research and this may be a "transitional" pattern of the 1811 which started in 1848, dare I say 1811/48... now I'm just making up models Haha. But what does not make sense is that it is dated 1906.

Does anyone know what model this is exactly?

Is this perhaps another unknown rare/scarce variation of the M73?

Lastly, it is unit marked, and this one is giving me the runaround. I believe it to be marked to a Field Artillery & Hussar regiment?

It reads 1.A.F.II.l.H.1.

Any help is appreciated, photos attached. Unfortunately no scabbard. Thank you!

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

Edited by Banzai

Hi Paul!

This stamp was used by bavarian units.

1.A.F.II.l.H.1.

1st Foot-Artillery-Regiment, II. Bataillon, light ammo-column for howitzers, weapon 1

9 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hi Paul!

This stamp was used by bavarian units.

1.A.F.II.l.H.1.

1st Foot-Artillery-Regiment, II. Bataillon, light ammo-column for howitzers, weapon 1

Thank you, are you familiar with this sabre model? It is quite unique.

No, I have no knowledge about sabres or weapons at all. My favourites are histories of formations and units and german uniforms until 1933

Same opinion, sabre is clasical Artillery NCO Sabre, here accepted into army 1906, 1.Fuss Artillery Regt. Nr.1 Ostpreussisches(von Linger), part of I. Army Korps in Koenigsberg, 

possible explanation II.Battalion, leichte Haubitzen Batterie Nr.1. even not the part typical for stamps manual of 1897 directions.

Edited by AndyBsk

6 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Same opinion, sabre is clasical Artillery NCO Sabre, here accepted into army 1906, 1.Fuss Artillery Regt. Nr.1 Ostpreussisches(von Linger), part of I. Army Korps in Koenigsberg, 

possible explanation II.Battalion, leichte Haubitzen Batterie Nr.1. even not the part typical for stamps manual of 1897 directions.

Thank you Andy. Is this a variant of the M73? It is nearly identical but does have the noted differences.

I am not expert on sabres, but it could be continuation of M1811 Bluecher Kavalry sabre, which was lightened version used by Artillery post 1873 and even in DDR post 1949 used as a Officer Sabre, so probably the design were used one of the longest period. 

Gentlemen,

The 1873 blade was lighter and longer and rarely issued to troopers. It is normally seen as an issue piece for officers. In 1873 the issue Prussian cavalry sword would have been the sword would have been the Kriegssäbel  M.1852 or KS 52. In 1879 a pipe-back blade was introduced. many of the original KS1852 and KS 1852/79 swords were handed down to Train Battalions, etc.

The sword illustrated above would have been issued to artillery units and other elements of the logistics chain.  A virtually unchanged version was issued in 1908.  The blade is broad and heavy.  It is the heaviest sword in my collection.

I assume the piece You mentioned in answer is a Kavallerie Saebel M1852. 

Edited by AndyBsk