Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

190909 Fred Beckingham RN

Acknown

Is there a nautical type out there who can help me evaluate the career of 190909 Fred Beckingham? His Register of Service is on Ancestry: click here (there are two pages). As far as I can see, he joined up in Feb 99, served on a variety of ships, including rather a large number of shore establishments, was discharged in Feb 11, but rejoined that Nov. Thereafter, he continued to serve on ships and in shore establishments throughout the war and was pensioned in Nov 21. His Medal Roll entry is: click hereI have a few specific questions:

• Is the above correct?
  • What was his wartime rating? SG? What is that and what did they do?
  • What were his key assignments that I might highlight in a short bio?

Many thanks.

Acknown

I haven't an Ancestry subscription so I can't help, I'm afraid. If you could post an image I'll happily give it a go.

Barry and Mike - many thanks. seaJane, thanks also. I'll get it to you in due course.

Acknown

Penfold,

Many thanks. I can now see Hydra on his Service Register but it's a bit obscure (in brackets). A very useful lead. Do you know what the coloured bars on the left of the table denote? All are green except for Fred and Scott, Andrew which are purple.

Acknown

The home page on the project website fully defines the colour codes used. (see link below) Basically greens and purples are names that have been confirmed at the battle.

https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/

The use of brackets in service records are used where a ship is too small to support a paymaster so a depot ship is used to provide pay and administration tasks. In this case Woolwich is the depot ship and Hydra is the ship he was actually serving on.

Woolwich (Hydra)

Penfold - Many thanks again. I haven't done much naval research and find myself in ... er ... choppy waters.

Acknown