Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book "Eyes All Over the Sky" - Any Good?

Buffnut453

Saw a book during some idle Googling entitled "Eyes All Over the Sky" which covers aerial reconnaissance during the Great War. 

Most of the reviews said it was excellent but one suggested it contained too much information about American air activities to the detriment of the real pioneers of aerial reconnaissance.  I'm interested in aerial reconnaissance generally but really want a work more focused on British/French activities rather than American.    

I'd welcome the opinions of the GWF cognoscenti regarding this book. 

I've not come across it until your post.

The extracts available on Amazon didn't inspire me to buy it, I'm afraid.  The first paragraph of Chapter One was enough.  One of the five star reviews seemed to be for the speed of delivery.

I don't think I've yet found a particular work specifically on reconnaisance which I can recommend.  I have "Shooting the Front" by Terence J Finnegan but gave up on it.  The reviews on Amazon are good though so I must give it another go.  I've found some general RFC/RAF histories pretty good - the sort which don't concentrate on the glamour of single-seaters.  Peter Hart's "Bloody April" and Barker's "A brief history of the Royal Flying Corps in World War 1" are particularly good at the emphasis they put on recce and artillery work etc and explaining the whys and wherefores of RFC policy.

3 hours ago, pierssc said:

I've not come across it until your post.

The extracts available on Amazon didn't inspire me to buy it, I'm afraid.  The first paragraph of Chapter One was enough.  One of the five star reviews seemed to be for the speed of delivery.

I don't think I've yet found a particular work specifically on reconnaisance which I can recommend.  I have "Shooting the Front" by Terence J Finnegan but gave up on it.  The reviews on Amazon are good though so I must give it another go.  I've found some general RFC/RAF histories pretty good - the sort which don't concentrate on the glamour of single-seaters.  Peter Hart's "Bloody April" and Barker's "A brief history of the Royal Flying Corps in World War 1" are particularly good at the emphasis they put on recce and artillery work etc and explaining the whys and wherefores of RFC policy.

3 hours ago, quemerford said:

I have it and it's OK but would recommend Shooting the Front by Finnegan over it.

Many thanks for the inputs and the recommendation.  I'm rather glad I didn't buy it in the heat of the moment.  Will definitely have to look for Finnegan's book now, though.

Please forgive the blatant plug, but you'll find an account of how the first aerial reconnaissance work  by the RFC came into fruition in my book  Baptism of Fire. :-)