Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VTC Drill Rifle

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from Sherwood Forest.

This post I hope will be of interest for enthusiasts of the Volunteer Training Corps.

It is a non-firing drill rifle from the early days of the VTC. (it wasn't just the WW2 Home Guard that used these)

It was produced by Charles Riggs who had a shop at 107 Bishops Gate London.  Apparently he not only sold sporting goods

but also motor cycles. Riggs was an ex-member of the Volunteer Force and was a shooting champion.  The rifle has a solid bar

steel barrel screwed into the stock and a non-functioning trigger and magazine cast in one piece.  it would also have had a cast-iron butt plate

but this is missing from my example. the butt is stamped EVTC which I assume means the Essex Volunteer Training Corps and also

Riggs name and address. The stock itself is well finished and of good quality.  I have been unable to find out how much these would have sold for.

Would anyone have any ideas on this?

Old Robin Hood

DSC01828.JPG.73894476ff260cb4b1698a8a3ebd17aa.JPGDSC01829.JPG.791526da3fdba83d7db4e633bae08f7b.JPGDSC01830.JPG.e786ebc388d46026996aaf686e4bbbea.JPG1043126088_DSC01831(2).JPG.caff4a196fbad3c5ceb30ad7cb00c1d2.JPG462943750_DSC01832(2).JPG.1ba01618b5712f5df8b7e27d8eeaf0f7.JPG

Mr Hood,

Nice looking and unusual rifle.

I wonder if weight and dimensions are about the same as a Lee Enfield of the period.

Do you happen to have a date for it?

Regards,

JMB

Very nice piece, the DP rifles seem a difficult subject to find information on.

Old Robin Hood,

Here's an undated ad. for Charles Griggs.  Your example is a WOODEN DUMMY RIFLE, as listed.

The Dummy Rifles for Drilling are much more realistic, saw an example last year, 2nd rifle down in photo.

Mike.

Image (58).jpg

SAM_2248.JPG

Edited by MikeyH

Mikey,

Thanks for the second ad.

It does answer my question about dimensions and weight.

Regards,

JMB

Greetings from Sherwood Forest.

Hi Mikey

Really interesting advertisement , £2   5s   for  TWELVE  Wooden Drill Rifles  WOW !!!. . It is very basic but for learning drill would do the job.

Thanks very much for the information

Robin