Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th Service Battalion, Royal Fusiliers

Trebrys

Dear All,

I have come across a paybook of a member of A Coy. 20 Service Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers and I'm trying to locate his location from between November 1915 to July 1916.

I can read Bethune and Annequin (I think), but would like to be more specific and find where was meant by "Field", though I presume it meant at the Front. But where would that Front be?

How would I be able to find the War Diaries, as I've not looked for those before? Also, what exactly does a Service Battalion mean? Is it different battalion to a "normal" one?

I hope everyone is keeping safe...after being battered by the wind and rain this morning, though it is still gusty, the skies over Flintshire are blue by now!

Thanks for any advice,

Trebrys.

Here is the War diary on National Archives if I've got the right one, I often get mixed up with Londons!

and headquarters on Ancestry for 33 Div

Or even up to September 1916, if possible!

Thanks again!

jonbem...THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this!!!!

There's my afternoon gone now!! Reading!!!

Brilliant stuff!

Trebrys,

Can you share the gentleman's name? I may be able to offer assistance though it might be hit and miss. If you're only interested up to July I presume he was wounded at High Wood?

Kind regards

Colin

Oops! Sorry!!! What an oversight!

His name was James C. Broome 4562.  From what I can gather he was a stretcher bearer and he was quite horribly wounded though I haven't been able to ascertain exactly when but it seems to be mid September...I think...it could be sooner though.The 15th of September is unusually...rather out of place in his usual list of payments.

Any help confirming this would be wonderful.

Thanks again, Colin.

Hi,

I can't help much I'm afraid; I've got his name as James Couse Broom according to medal rolls but the paybook is probably the better source! According to my notes he enlisted on 11 September 1914 and was initially with A Company. He was aged 24, went to France on 14 November 1915 and was discharged due to wounds on 30 October 1918. He attended Manchester Grammar School but only gets one mention in the school magazine (on enlisting).

The battalion was in the line near Hannescamps on 15 September but  no mention of casualties. 

Apologies for the lack of info; soldiers discharged that late often don't have pension records from discharge though I might need to check WFA pension cards.

Kind regards

Colin

The 19th Brigade WD records 1 OR wounded on 15th September - I'm not really clear from posts so far if the 15th is a significant date or not, however? Casualties for this mid-month period, a few a day at most and not identified to regiment, are totted up in the right-hand margin of the page though I have to say I can't work out the derivation of totals, at least on a casual glance.

Cheers, Pat

Many thanks to Colin and Pat for your input. Both were valued and appreciated.

I know that Broome was a stretcher bearer and he was wounded quite horribly, though he lived until the late 1960s and led a full life from what I can glean.

He saw some action during the summer of 1916 with the Royal Fusiliers as I have a letter from the father of a comrade of his who was killed on July 22 enquiring about any information about his son's death. The poor boy's name is on the memorial at Thiepval. I wonder whether Broome was wounded on the same day? 

I'll poke around the Forum now to see if anything's written about the stretcher bearers. I can't imagine them being left unscarred by the sights of a battlefield.

Many thanks, 

Trebrys.