Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Robert Hewitt

PaulC78

I've found the below pension ledger for Pte Robert Hewitt 15978 R Lancs who died after discharge on 2 Dec 1916, but otherwise I'm drawing a complete blank - he doesn't appear to be listed on CWGC and I can't find anything on either Ancestry or FMP. There are also no deaths registered in England for that name and date. Posting here in case anyone else has any more luck.

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.8cd72af96221dd8534664a2261a1692e.jpg

17 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

I've found the below pension ledger for Pte Robert Hewitt 15978 R Lancs who died after discharge on 2 Dec 1916, but otherwise I'm drawing a complete blank - he doesn't appear to be listed on CWGC and I can't find anything on either Ancestry or FMP. There are also no deaths registered in England for that name and date. Posting here in case anyone else has any more luck.

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.8cd72af96221dd8534664a2261a1692e.jpg

Take a look at this card as I think it will help.Seems his details have been totally mangled in the MoP records

https://www.fold3.com/image/668894597

Craig

Thanks, looks like Thomas Walter Hewitt is the correct name (where did Robert come from on the ledger??) and presumably he is the man who died at Rotherham in the last quarter of 1916. His mother's surname was Anstee, she remarried in 1911. There is a service record but it only consists of four pages and unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is a case to be made.

Edited by PaulC78

it's all very odd - there should be a war gratuity entry in the effects records but I can't see one.

Craig