Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'H' Company The Norfolk Regiment

armypal

Hello can anyone help me please. I'd like to find out more about ' H' Company and their role in WW1. 

14 hours ago, armypal said:

Hello can anyone help me please. I'd like to find out more about ' H' Company and their role in WW1. 

You need to be a little more specific - which Battalion? 

My guess would be you're looking at a Territorial Battalion (Companies usually went to a total of four, so A to D but pre-war Territorial units were still on the old eight-company (A to H) system prior to reorganising after war started.

its also very hard to find info on specific companies

is there a soldier in particular you are interested in?

if you are referring to the 1/5th the this may be of interest

https://stevesmith1944.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/the-15th-battalion-norfolk-regiment-at-gallipoli/

and Im making a big assumption :thumbsup:

Thanks Coldstreamer and Stephen. 

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my enquiry and you've both given me food for thought, especially with the link to Steve Smith.

I was interested knowing more, as I've just bought a postcard which says the men on it are ' H' Company of the 2nd Norfolk Regiment. The photo was taken in India just pre 1914.

Thanks again.

Neil Storey is giving a talk in Dereham concerning the Norfolk Regiment in the Great war 19th Febuary ? I think 

2 hours ago, armypal said:

Thanks Coldstreamer and Stephen. 

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my enquiry and you've both given me food for thought, especially with the link to Steve Smith.

I was interested knowing more, as I've just bought a postcard which says the men on it are ' H' Company of the 2nd Norfolk Regiment. The photo was taken in India just pre 1914.

Thanks again.

Ah. The 2nd Norfolks were, as you say, in India in 1914, at Bombay specifically. They didn't go to the Western Front but went to Mesopotamia with an Indian Division (6th?). They would have been on the 8-company organisation and may well not have moved to the 4-company until after the outbreak of war (India always being a little behind). I suspect the Battalion War Diaries will be at Kew

Thanks both of you.

Good to hear that Neil s giving a talk .

I'll have to try and find the War Diaries  

You may also be interested in this blog post:-

https://norfolkinworldwar1.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/the-second-battalion-of-the-norfolk-regiment-winter-1915-update/

I don't know if the 2nd Battalion reduced to 4 Companies + HQ or retained an 8 company structure and would be keen to know. Interestingly PictureNorfolk has a picture of a 1921 headstone in India which they have titled as a member of 8 Company, 2nd Battalion, but to me looks more like H Company. It may simply be that the 2nd Norfolks reverted to that structure in peacetime.

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PICNOR/BIBENQ/7992954/49611753,9?FMT=IMG

Cheers,

Peter

I'd be surprised if the Norfolks didn't change to the 4-company system (everyone else on the Indian Establishment did), or reverted to it post-war (no-one else did).

What is possible (it did happen) is that the 1st Battalion took A to D (or 1 to 4), while the 2nd took E to H (or 5 to 8). There was a lot of room for difference: some regiments used numbers rather than letters, and some used A to D for the 1st Battalion, but W to Z for the 2nd.