Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Manchester Regiment on the 11th of November 1918

KOBE

Hi Everyone,

I've been researching Bethell's Force (armoured column to keep in touch with the rapidly retreating German Army in the last few days of the war) and I've come across something that's rather puzzling.

In the War Diary for the 9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, there is what appears to be a brass rubbing from a plaque with the following words: 

"Notice.

This Gun was captured by "C" Company 9th Batt Manchester Regt

at dawn 11th November 1918

The spot on which it now stands was reached by "A" Company

9th Batt Manchester Regt 199th Infantry Brigade 66th Division

13th Corps British 4th Army at 10am on 11th November 1918"

And the entry in the war diary for 13th November 1918 reads:

"Work on roads and cleaning up. No signs of any enemy. Civilians are not allowed to pass through the line either way. "A" Coy is building an emplacement on the SIVRY STATION ROAD to take the German gun captured by "C" Coy. This emplacement marks the most EASTERLY spot reached by the Battalion on the cessation of hostilities."

The only entry in the war diary mentioning a captured gun on the 11th is this:

"At 03.00 hours on the 11th a patrol of "C" Coy threw a bomb at the enemy machine gun at the cross roads A 24 b.4.2. and wounded one of the enemy – the enemy then left their gun."

(The above mentioned position is just to the west of Sivry)

I've located the position of the outpost on Google maps, which is to the east of Sivry-Rance on the road towards the old train station, but there doesn't appear to be anything there (unsurprisingly) and I can find no mention of this memorial anywhere, does anyone know anything about it?

This is the 9th Manchester's Position at 11am I've attached a copy of the rubbing 

Thanks, KOBE.

Page-67_Brass_Rubbing_of_Gun.jpg