Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Document

Levi Hilgenhold

Has anyone ever seen a document like this before? It is of my great-grandfather and always hung on the wall beside his Columbia Wound certificate. The two were in the same sized frame. Not government issued, it was likely purchased and the bottom right says, “Published by: JM Stern-Chicago” In all of my research I have never seen another like it.

He never told anyone about the war but the info on this document was able to jump start my research years ago. 

8562A0F0-E263-4646-BA5D-44C5DD7369AA.jpeg

Edited by Levi Hilgenhold

• 4 months later...

Took a while but I have now come across another held in a museum, it contains the image of General Pershing himself. The description explains that the poster was part of a larger collection of propaganda issued to help recruit, raise money and keep up morale; https://missourioverthere.org/index.php?symphony-page=explore/collections/violette-e-m-collection/worlds-great-war-for-democracy-ca-1914-1918/.

The bottom right is slightly damaged but Chicago is visible, meaning the poster was most likely created by the same JM Stern?

Edited by sr97

Great find! That’s very interesting. I’m surprised that they’re not more widespread. I initially thought they would’ve been a common purchase for veterans. I think your theory about him selling blank ones is spot on. 

1 minute ago, Levi Hilgenhold said:

I’m surprised that they’re not more widespread 

I've never seen them before, thanks for sharing yours! It's a great piece of history to have and it looks to be in great condition.