Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Digging up the Past: War Horse Special

David Filsell

In an idle moment - between half watching the off duty bouncers  in red and green acting  a pretence of the game I loved whic used to be runnning and kicking rugby - in the Times TV guide I found that on Channel 5 at 7.00 is:

"Digging Up Britains Past 

Horse Special: Rakshah Dave 

and Alex Langland search for 

the remains of a First World 

War stable at Catterick

Garrison in North Yorkshire.

Needless to say can barely control my excitement and thought I should share my knowledge with fellow Foumistas.

Enjoy.

Edited by David Filsell

Very short notice, I'm afraid, as it's on Channel 5 at 1900 tonight.

"Oddly, neither the book, the play nor the film gets even a namecheck ... at a dig [excavation] in the British Army garrison of Catterick. where thousands of horses were readied for life on the Western Front ... former jockey Scott Brough [tells] the story of his grandfather, Jack Seely, and his trusty steed Warrior, dubbed 'the horse the Germans could not kill' ... the excitement of the hosts [presenters] at times outstrips that of the viewer."

Moonraker

I see that David beat me to it by a few minutes, before I'd created

this new thread

(TBH, the "Horse Apples" allusion passed me by.)

I'll leave it to the Mods to decide how to merge the two threads. (Though I was later than David, I plead that I did post in the Culture Pages: "The GWF Arts Supplement - for music, art, poetry, plays, TV & radio, films etc.)

Moonraker

2 hours ago, David Filsell said:

In an idle moment - between half watching the off duty bouncers  in red and green watching a pretence of the game I loved that used to be runnning and kicking rugby - in the Times TV guide I found that on Channel 5 at 7.00 is:

"Digging Up Britains Past 

Horse Special: Rakshah Dave 

and Alex Langland search for 

the remains of a First World 

War stable at Catterick

Garrison in North Yorkshire.

Needless to say can barely control my excitement and thought I should share my knowledge with fellow Foumistas.

Enjoy.

45 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

I see that David beat me to it by a few minutes, before I'd created

this new thread

(TBH, the "Horse Apples" allusion passed me by.)

I'll leave it to the Mods to decide how to merge the two threads. (Though I was later than David, I plead that I did post in the Culture Pages: "The GWF Arts Supplement - for music, art, poetry, plays, TV & radio, films etc.)

Moonraker

Thanks to you both for the heads-up! Call it a point apiece. 

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Digging up the Past: War Horse Special

Threads have now been merged by a kindly Mod (thanks), so my "this new thread" link leads to this one!

From the timing of this, my latest, post, you'll gather that I'm not myself watching the programme. Perhaps anyone who does will comment here, encouraging or discouraging me to watch the inevitable repeat or even try to see it via Catch Up - or whatever it's called on Channel 5.

Moonraker

• Admin

It didn't hold my attention.  They found some bricks and a bit of harness then I think they discovered the stables were made from wood so unlikely to remain.  Usual stuff about 'Warrior' and 'war horses'.  Hardly a critique but as far as I was concerned it was just moving wallpaper while I washed up.

Ken

Well, did try to warn you in a light hearted way - for horse apples, a common US term in certain places and on used on Mash - read horse droppings.

Let alone anyone thinking it might be worth filming, who on earth might have thought it worth broadcasting? 

I thought they might have had more sense than to think they were looking for brick built stables. Firstly. soldiers were housed in tents or woodenhuts. Secondly why did they think horses would be treated any different. Somewhere inthe records there are probably descriptions,specs and plans of how to build stable blocks

A quick internet search I found this 1917 watercolour painting - prints available on ebay - of Catterick Garrison

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Army-Overlooking-Catterick-Garrison-1917-Art-Print-of-original-painting-/273510922440

oooh David I never knew I am one of these " Foumistas" theres posh I am :P.

3 hours ago, David Filsell said:

Well, did try to warn you in a light hearted way - for horse apples, a common US term in certain places and on used on Mash - read horse droppings.

Goodness, we usually have sausages with our mash. I fear I shall never look upon onion gravy in quite the same light ever again.

I watched it, well part of it anyway and was disappointed in it. The only saving grace for me, if there is such a thing, was that Mr Snow Junior did not make an appearance and cheerily begin to give us various facts figures and other bits of information according to his own and often unique interpretation of events and evidence.

Regards

Just try the first five minutes. If you like it, at least you can fast-forward through the commercials.

(Not that I've seen it, but that's my usual policy with films on TV that I'm not sure about.)

Moonraker

Same here - got bored and didnt watch the end of it

There was a clip of the King's Troop RHA, she said "Hauling these massive guns."

I thought 13 pounders were one of the smallest guns in the tool box...she needs to get out more.

Alan.

As Alex Langlands had struggled to find a decent map, that is why I found the ones I posted earlier, it occupied my mind whilst the information from the programme lacking!

there is a little info here