Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replacement US Victory Medal w/battle clasps

Levi Hilgenhold

I am looking to purchase a replacement victory medal similar to my great-grandfathers but all of the modern reproductions, such as Medals of America, do not have the option to purchase battle clasps. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I am adverse to purchasing a medal that was awarded to another soldier, since that medal should remain with his family. Any help would be appreciated. 

Are they named?  If no,  Id not worry about it being awarded to another soldier, so longs as you appreciate it then its in a good place

On 07/02/2020 at 19:54, Coldstreamer said:

Are they named?  If no,  Id not worry about it being awarded to another soldier, so longs as you appreciate it then its in a good place

No, they were not named. I'm afraid I can't answer the OP's question about copy clasps BUT there was a firm who used to make copies of these in the 1920's - now long out of business I would have thought. I suspect they may have made clasps. I have also seen copy claps (usually sold being sold as original on Ebay). I suspect that these clasps were only ever copied (as replacements) rather than faked, so they should be easy enough to spot if you are familiar with the originals. The differences come down to the font used, the lettering spaces, and the detail at each end of the clasp.

Mike

Edited by Medaler